Business owner to run for Congress

Trey Hollingsworth, a business owner from Jeffersonville, announced Wednesday he has filed the paperwork to run for Congress as a Republican in Indiana’s 9th District.

“I believe that career politicians are putting their own careers ahead of the interests that I have and that other Hoosiers have,” Hollingsworth said.

On his campaign website, Hollingsworth describes himself as an “outsider, businessman, and Christian conservative.”

He said politicians who have been in office repeatedly, including his opponents, might promise to cut the government but will not want to “bite the hand that feeds them.”

While running, Hollingsworth is taking a term limit pledge, promising not to serve for more than eight years. He said working for term limits would be one of his primary concerns if elected.

Hollingsworth also hopes to focus on creating jobs.

“We can’t do that with onerous regulation and uncertainty about future regulation,” Hollingsworth said. “Businesses can’t hire more of us and people can’t plan for college or for retirement.”

His business, Hollingsworth Capital Partners, improves industrial sites. Hollingsworth said he has spent his entire career in the industry working to bring manufacturing jobs back to the country.

If elected, Hollingsworth also will work to repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), according to a press release.

Stopping illegal immigration is another of his campaign stances, according to a press release.

“I believe we can change Washington,” Hollingsworth said. “But it starts by changing who we send to 
Washington.”

More