IU student Joseph Smedley reported missing

IU student Joseph Smedley was reported missing Monday by a family member whom he contacted and informed he was leaving the country, though he did not provide a reason, according to an IU Police Department statement.

Smedley was last seen by his roommates at 11:30 p.m. Sunday at his residence on South Mitchell Street. His sister received a text from him at 4 a.m. Monday stating he was leaving the country.

IUPD began an immediate investigation following all possible leads to confirm Smedley left Bloomington on his own free will.

Cell phone records indicate that Smedley may have been in an area near Old State Highway 37 just north of Bloomington at approximately 6:30 a.m. on Sept. 28 according to an Oct. 2 release from IUPD. 

IU Police and other law enforcement agencies, aided by scent-tracking dogs provided by the Putnamville Correctional Facility, continue to search this area, but to date have discovered no evidence that Smedley has been in that area. 

Smedley is a 20-year-old black male. He is 5-foot-7 and has brown hair and brown eyes. He is an Indianapolis native who is a sophomore studying biochemistry. He shares an off-campus residence with multiple roommates, all of whom have been interviewed by police and are cooperating fully.

It has been determined that, while being enrolled for the fall semester, Smedley has not been attending classes since the start of the fall semester. Just prior to his disappearance, Smedley told a family member that it was his intent to leave the country, but it has been determined that he does not possess a known passport and there is no evidence that he has booked travel out of the immediate area.

IUPD is actively investigating the case. If you have any information regarding this case, please contact IUPD at 812-855-3499.

Alyson Malinger