Cat cafe seeks crowdfunding

Elizabeth Rettig

A crowdfunding campaign for City Kitty and Brews, a cat cafe, will begin online Monday to raise money for the upcoming business.

Friends and business partners Elizabeth Rettig, and Jessie Wang, said they are hoping to raise $25,000 to secure a building downtown and purchase equipment for their cafe that will allow patrons to pet and play 
with cats.

“For Bloomington, it’s a great business concept,” Rettig, 23, said. She said she believes students, academics, children and any cat lover will enjoy the future 
business.

After fusing Rettig’s love of cats and Wang’s passion for baking and cooking, the two women came up with the idea in January to make the first cat cafe in Indiana.

“(Cat cafe’s) are lacking in the Midwest, unfortunately,” Rettig said, though they are featured in many places throughout both coasts.

Cats for the cafe will be fostered by Rettig and Wang through a local animal shelter and will be located in an area of the building separated from the cafe. Guests will not be allowed to bring cats from outside the cafe. Litter boxes will be in a private room blocked off to patrons.

Books, board games and other activities will be 
available.

“It’s not just the cats,” Rettig said.

Menu items will include coffee, tea, specialty beverages and homemade food, including grilled cheese and waffles.

Though they have a goal of $25,000 for the crowdfunding campaign, Rettig said she hopes they are able to raise more. If they are able to raise the money, Rettig and Wang said they hope to open in December.

“The quality of the home for cats and guests depends on this,” she said.

A video about the business will be released with the start of the 
crowdfunding campaign.