weekend

'Mall Cop' sequel good but not worth the ticket

1202635 - Paul Blart 2

‘Paul Blart: Mall Cop II’

C+

Our favorite Segway-riding security guard is back in “Paul Blart: Mall Cop II.”

The sequel finds Blart, played by Kevin James, newly divorced after just six days of marriage to Amy.

In case you’ve forgotten in the six years since the original was released, Amy is the woman whom Blart married at the end.

Soon after, Blart’s mother dies.

Things don’t look too good for Blart until he’s invited to the Security Officer’s Trade Association expo in Las Vegas for recognition of his heroism in the first movie.

Of course, the same weekend that there’s a security officer’s expo, a group of white-collar criminals, led by a man named Vincent, decide to execute an art heist in the same hotel.

Blart’s daughter, Maya, played by Raini Rodriguez, is taken hostage by Vincent and his goons, and Blart launches into action to save her and the hotel.

What ensues is a lot of the same antics seen in the first movie, except that James’ stage for comedy is much bigger in Vegas.

But bigger isn’t always better.

Some of the more elaborate attempts made at humor, which use typical Vegas venues, involve James mostly by himself or with a nameless character.

James, however, is an actor who plays well off of other people.

One of the more humorous jokes is an ongoing bit in which Blart is convinced the general manager, Divina, played by Daniella Alonso, keeps making advances at him, but he claims he isn’t ready for a relationship.

This dynamic is interspersed throughout the movie, though, and not much time is spent on it.

The funniest scene in the film, a showdown between other security officers at the expo and Vincent’s henchmen, barely includes Blart.

While the movie was funny overall, there were few outright hilarious moments. It could have utilized James’ comedic ability to a much greater effect.

Though the humor is a letdown, there’s a nice underlying storyline throughout which develops the relationship between Blart and Maya as well as Blart’s character.

At the beginning of the movie, viewers find out Maya has been accepted to UCLA, which is on the other side of the country from the Blart’s New Jersey home.

Worried about adding to her father’s feelings of loneliness, Maya waits to tell her dad.

When he eventually finds out her news, the two have a big fight.

So, in addition to the story of a dedicated, crime-fighting mall cop, the movie is about a lonely man who struggles to give his teenage daughter more independence while coming to terms with his recent losses.

But it’s mostly about a mall cop who’s skilled with a Segway.

“Paul Blart: Mall Cop II” is not worth the ticket money to see on the big screen, but it’s a perfect light-hearted comedy to rent for a weekend night in.