IU loses doubleheader Saturday

The Hoosiers dropped both games in Saturday’s doubleheader against Loyola Marymount and Cal Poly.

In the first game Loyola Marymount threatened early, loading the bases with nobody out. But a key double play and a throw out at the plate left the score scoreless.

However, the Lions would continue to threaten throughout the entire game, scoring five runs in the second inning and three more in the third.

After an early and commanding 8-0 lead for the Lions, the Hoosiers finally got on the board. Senior Shannon Cawley brought in two runs on a two out double. IU would add another run on a fielder’s choice from freshman Rebecca Blitz in the bottom of the fifth inning to cut the Lion lead to 8-3

The next inning however, Loyola Marymount would add two more runs on a two run homerun from Nicole Kaiser, her second of the game.

Junior Kelsey Dotson went long on a two run home run of her own to cut the Lions lead yet again to 10-5. However, it is the closest IU would get, as the Lions scored three more in the seventh inning and gave the Lions a 13-5 victory of the Hoosiers.

Senior Miranda Tamayo would pick up her sixth loss of the season, surrendering five runs on seven hits in only 1.1 innings pitched.

IU showed up later on Friday night for their second game against Cal Poly, however, its bats failed to, recording just three hits and no runs in a 4-0 loss.

After the Mustangs took an early 1-0 lead, it would turn into a pitcher’s battle for IU’s Miranda Tamayo and senior Lora Olson, who combined gave up the lone run up until the sixth inning when Cal Poly scored again on an RBI single.

The Mustangs would add two more runs in the seventh to make it 4-0 and that would be the last run scored of the game for either team.

IU had opportunities to put runs on the board but the Hoosiers suffered 12 strikeouts and managed only three hits in a game where they put up no runs, the first time all season.

The Hoosiers will have one last opportunity to pick up a win in the Mary Nutter Classic as they play BYU on Saturday.

Michael Hernandez