?IU’s 2015 class grows to 19

Lynn Haven, Fla., 3-star linebacker/safety Reakwon Jones committed to IU on Monday after an official visit to Bloomington last weekend.

The 6-foot-2, 210 pound defensive prospect is ranked as the 124th best safety in the nation by 247Sports. He is the Hoosiers’ 19th commitment to their 2015 class, not including two transfers from UAB.

“I’ve decided to further my education and football career at Indiana University and will be shutting down all recruiting,” Jones said via a post on Twitter. “I’m a Hoosier.”

Jones decommitted from Florida Atlantic University on Jan. 4 before taking his official visit to IU. He was also drawing interest from the University of California, Berkeley, the University of South Florida and the University of South Alabama.

Should Jones wind up playing safety, he would help solve what has become a bit of a depth issue among the Hoosiers’ defensive backs.

IU has five 2015 commits who could potentially play safety, but the graduation of two-time First Team Academic All-American Mark Murphy leaves a void needing to be filled.

If Jones ends up a linebacker, it would make him yet another potential weapon at either middle linebacker or bandit in IU’s 2015 class. The Hoosiers previously added both Joe Belden and Brandon Wilson, who both may also end up lining up at linebacker.

IU already has a bit of young, experienced talent at linebacker with to-be juniors T.J. Simmons and Marcus Oliver and to-be sophomores Greg Gooch and Tegray Scales, but the Hoosiers will be losing starting linebacker David Cooper to graduation.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson has four remaining scholarships at his disposal with National Signing Day rapidly approaching. IU hosted a number of visitors last weekend including Jones, 3-star athlete Keith Washington and 3-star linebacker Terez Hall.

A handful of committed and non-committed players will once again be in Bloomington this upcoming weekend for official visits.

After Jones’ commitment, the Hoosiers 2015 class currently ranks No. 8 in the Big Ten by 247Sports.

Sam Beishuizen