First half recap

COLUMBUS, OHIO—After one half of basketball, No. 23 IU trails Ohio State 38-32 in Columbus, Ohio.

IU started the game making its first eight field goal attempts to build an early eight-point lead before missing its next five as Ohio State mounted a comeback.

Junior guard Yogi Ferrell ended IU’s scoreless drought with a 3-pointer, but by then Ohio State had built a large enough lead that the make put IU down 25-22. Sophomore forward Collin Hartman followed Ferrell with a 3-pointer of his own to tie the game at 25-25 with just under six minutes left in the half.

From there, Ohio State rattled off a 10-0 run to take a 35-25 lead. The Hoosiers responded with a 7-0 run of their own

Seven different Hoosiers have scored thus far, led by eight points from junior guard Yogi Ferrell. Sophomore forwards Collin Hartman and Troy Williams both have six points.

Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell has 16 points, four rebounds and five assists to lead the Buckeyes. The Big Ten’s top-scoring freshman had 13 points on 3-of-15 shooting at Assembly Hall earlier this month.

IU has turned the ball over 11 times against an Ohio State team that is one of the best in the country at turning opponents over. IU averages about 10 turnovers per game in Big Ten play.

IU needs to win against Ohio State to retain a share of first place in the Big Ten standings.

Sam Beishuizen