oped

Aborting America's wants

Opinion Illo

A new legislative session has begun for our federal government, and with it comes a new Republican Party majority in the Senate.

These men and women were given quite an interesting goal by majority leader Mitch McConnell during an interview with the Washington Post last month: “Don’t be ‘scary.’”

However, after five anti-abortion bills were proposed within a mere three days of the start of the session, party voices have made it clear that few punches will be pulled in the name of avoiding divisions.

One could make the argument that no other social issue has divided our nation in the way abortion has.

With both sides of the fence touting passionate human rights concerns as their top priority, progress one way or the other can often seem utterly ?impossible.

Apparently, the Republican Senate has no qualms about challenging this status quo.

Ranging from the reintroduction of a ban on post-20-week abortions to a variety of restrictions on Planned Parenthood, these proposed bills reflect little of the economic, anti-”Obamacare” platforms upon which most Republicans founded their ?recent campaigns.

Once elected, these leaders have immediately pushed bills of a different, more controversial and social ?nature.

The Editorial Board believes that instead of reigniting heated discussion on abortion, the Senate should have first taken time to propose bills addressing more immediate and ?decisive issues.

Abortion seems to have become a social issue where no particular party or movement can “win.”

Instead, small victories and concessions will continuously be made by both sides of the debate.

Passionate advocacy on behalf of a social issue can be a wonderful way to impact society.

However, the Senate must assess the needs and wishes of the public and prioritize their time in session. A personal agenda should be avoided.

Therefore, rather than continuing the endless tug-of-war that is abortion politics, our Senate should stimulate discussion on the economy, job ?security, environmental regulations and health care.

Americans deserve a dialogue that prioritizes these issues.

After all, they are largely the reason these senators were elected.

If Sen. McConnell truly hopes to win back favor for the Republican Party in the public’s eye, he should encourage support for legislation the voters have asked for.

Otherwise, his quest for newfound relevance for the party may not be as successful as he might hope.