Local folk singer plans tour, new album

Myah Evans is new in town.

She just moved to Bloomington at the end of the summer from her Indianapolis, her hometown.

However, with a new EP due for release on Christmas and the plans for her first full-length album in the works, she doesn’t intend to be a stranger for long.

Her new EP, a five-song album titled “Y,” became available for pre-order on Bandcamp Nov. 28.

Evans said she chose the name because, “‘Why?’ is an important question to ask yourself if you want to move forward.”

With a musical education that launched from tinkering with a piano, Evans started to dabble in music at an early age. Then at age 14, she started composing songs on a loaned guitar, according to her website.

She still plays the guitar today and she said she hopes new album will show how much she has grown.

The release of the new EP will also mark the second anniversary of her first release, the four-song demo “Familiar Things,” which released Christmas 2012.

In those two years, she has been busy spreading her name across the country. She re-released “Familiar Things,” Oct. 1, 2013, adding four more songs to the album.

Evans refers to her music as folk music, and she said she chose that style because of its ease of ?accessibility.

“It created an independence for me because I wouldn’t have to be dependent on anybody to play guitar for me or anybody to write for me or anybody to do anything,” she said. “I could just pick up the guitar and have at it and just kind of do my own thing.”

She also said she gets her inspiration from a long list of artists.

“I kind of have a broad influence and I try to display that through my music by being as versatile as possible,” she said.

She cited Josiah Leming, Wiz Khalifa, Alison Krauss and The Weeknd as just a few of the musicians that inspire her.

Both of her albums have been released under a label of her own making, N.O.M.E. Records.

The letters stand for Night Owls Myah Evans, but she said she wants it to mean more.

“Know yourself, know who you’re becoming, and know what you want to cause,” Evans said. “I’m trying to ask myself that regularly so I can just kind of remain in touch with my goals.”

Evans spent the fall on her “Get Familiar” tour where she traveled to Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Texas and Colorado. On tour, she played everywhere, ranging from local coffee shops to the Southwest Regional Folk Alliance.

She said it was a cool experience but that it was also very up and down.

In the next few months, Evans said she will be releasing a lot of visuals to accompany the songs from her new EP.

She also said she would like to begin work on her first full-length album soon.

“We also just started brainstorming for a tour on the East Coast coming June and July time, and there’s also talks of college tours,” said her Public Relations Manager Michael Babcock.