3 men in custody facing preliminary rape, attempted murder charges

Three men are in custody following an apparent home invasion that took place early Sunday morning.

The men were arrested by Bloomington police in connection with a reported rape and shooting that is believed to have transpired in the early morning hours Sunday morning, Bloomington Police Department Chief Michael Diekoff said in a press conference Monday morning.

Michael W.L. Deweese, 19, and Vaylan Keishaun Glazebrook, 19, both of Indianapolis, were arrested on preliminary felony charges of attempted murder, rape while armed with a weapon, burglary while armed with a weapon, confinement while armed with a weapon, intimidation with a weapon and resisting law enforcement with a weapon.

A third man, Jesse Benti-Torres, 19, of Danville, Ind., was arrested on preliminary charges of burglary while armed with a weapon and assisting a criminal.

Diekoff said the suspects forced entry into an apartment in the 500 block of east 12th Street.

While in the house, they reportedly sexually assaulted two 24-year-old females at gunpoint.

Police officers responded to a call at about 4:30 a.m. regarding a possible rape in progress at the residence. The caller indicated that she thought one of her roommates might be being raped, Diekoff said.

Upon arrival, an officer went to the front door and noticed that the door was partially open. He observed a male inside an interior doorway putting on his pants.

The officer identified himself as police. The officer then heard two gunshots and took cover.

The officer, William Abram, went to the westside of the residence and saw two males coming out of a window who then fled south, police said.

He heard another gunshot and saw the muzzle flash as one of the suspects fired at him.

Abram returned fire with his duty weapon, reportedly hitting Glazebrook in the arm and Deweese in the leg.

The suspects were taken to the hospital as were the victims. Though the women are not believed to have sustained life-threatening injuries, their condition is not yet known.

An internal investigation is also being conducted because a police officer fired his weapon. No officers were injured in the incident.

Hannah Fleace and Holly Hays