The ballad of the Old Brass Spittoon

For the 57th time, IU and Michigan State will square off Saturday in the latest installment of a rivalry that dates back to 1922.

And when the teams do meet, they will be playing for the Old Brass Spittoon trophy, which has been awarded to the winning team since 1950.

It's a trophy IU junior offensive lineman Ralston Evans says the Hoosiers want to keep in Bloomington.

"We've been talking about it, it's a trophy we haven't seen in a while," Evans said. "A lot of fans that I've spoken to on campus, some don't even know that it's a rivalry game, but I'm really looking forward to it."

Gene McDermott was the man responsible for coming up with the idea to play for the Old Brass Spittoon.

McDermott was the junior class president of Michigan State in 1950 and wanted to find a trophy to motivate his Spartan team, according to the Michigan State athletic website.

He found the old spittoon in an antique shop in Lansing with a note from the previous owner implying that it was used in the early 1800s. Since the spittoon was likely used during the time period both states were founded, the prize was deemed appropriate.

A challenge was sent from Michigan State to IU via telegraph and Indiana Student Senate accepted.

Thus began the battle for the Old Brass Spittoon.

Michigan State blew out IU 35-0 in the first Spittoon game and would hold onto the trophy until 1958.

Spare for four years where the teams didn’t meet since the programs aren’t protected rivals, the Hoosiers and Spartans have fought for the trophy each season.

The Spartans have had the trophy since winning it in 2007. The Hoosiers have had possession of the Spittoon just twice since 1995.

That’s indicative to the all-time series record between the teams. The Hoosiers are 15-43-2 against the Spartans and have only won eight times in the last 44 years, including a 1994 matchup the Spartans were forced to forfeit due to NCAA rule violations after winning on the field.

Wilson said he's emphasized getting the trophy back in practice. But he added that it will be a challenge going up against a team that has controlled it for most of the rivalry's history.

"They have controlled it and they have this Spittoon, and we need to go get that thing," Wilson said. "And if we don't play hard and play well, they will keep it."

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on Twitter, @Sam_Beishuizen