weekend

Meet the freaks

Meet the freaks

Another year, another sick, twisted, hell of a horrifying ride brought to us by our friends at FX.

That’s right, friends, “American Horror Story” is back, and it’s getting freaky.

In this season’s rendition of the popular series, we enter the set of a freak show, led by Elsa Mars, played by an always impeccable Jessica Lange.

Mars has big dreams for this freak show and for her own overinflated ego. She brings in the newest attraction to the show, a new headlining act, the double-headed pair of twins, Bette and Dot Tattler.

At this point in the show, it seems like Bette and Dot are the centerpiece, this season’s protagonists.

After our discovery that Bette killed the pair’s mother, it’s understood that the twins are in trouble. A detective comes to the freak show to try to find the fugitive women and is killed on the spot by claw-handed Jimmy Darling.

This episode had a ton to love. Our classic “AHS” cinematography and nearly-cartoonish stylizing are back at bat, as is our slew of dynamic characters full of huge personalities.

Show runner Ryan Murphy’s theatrical flares, like the show-stopping Jessica Lange rendition of David Bowie’s “Life on Mars?,” have also made their return to the stage.

However, that doesn’t stop me from having my worries about this season.

With each season since the first, we’ve been given the theme of the upcoming one and gotten incredibly excited. It’s taking place in an asylum? 

Nice! It’s gonna be about witches? Hooray! But by the end of the seasons, it would be just reserved disappointment.

I was obviously very excited when we learned this season was going to be about a freak show. The opportunity for horror and terror and original storytelling laced through every frame is there.

But, alas, I didn’t feel that.

I wasn’t excited in the way that I should have been with the return of a show this great. The only times during the episode I was really giddy was when the terrifying clown came on screen wreaking havoc.

It seems the team behind “AHS” has become a little bit complacent. The magic is slowly fading.

It’s a great start to what could be an amazing season, but when it’s “AHS” and when it’s Ryan Murphy, the bar is set just a little bit higher.

ELSA MARS

Jessica Lange

There's nothing quite like an older woman who’s in charge of her power and her sexuality. Cue every “AHS” character Lange has ever played. Elsa is a German who’s started a freak show in the attempt she herself may get some limelight.

ETHEL DARLING

Kathy Bates

A confidante of Elsa’s, the amazing Kathy Bates is back to this deranged show, this time as Ethel. She plays the stereotypical bearded lady in the freak show and is the mother of Jimmy Darling. She’s stern. I’m excited to see this character fleshed out.

BETTE AND DOT TATTLER

Sarah Paulson

The protagonists of this season, Bette and Dot, are two twins who share one body with two heads. Each of the twins has a wildly different personality. One is completely stuck up and dominant, the other one is fun-loving. A strong lead character for this story.

JIMMY DARLING

Evan Peters

Viewers are introduced to Jimmy Darling — his fingers might be webbed and lobster-like, but that doesn’t snub his confidence and charming demeanor. And he proves that to us as we’re taken into the moment of one of his romantic encounters. We’ll let you use your imagination with this one. Jimmy is Ethel’s son and a great new character for Peters.

TWISTY THE CLOWN

John Carroll Lynch

Ryan Murphy, you’ve outdone yourself with Twisty. I don’t think I’ve ever met a television character as simply terrifying as Twisty. We know nothing about his story, just that he terrorizes people in broad daylight. Like stabbing two young lovers to death as they picnic in the middle of a field.

DID YOU KNOW?

Ryan Murphy, a show runner and creator of “American Horror Story,” as well as “Glee” and “Nip/Tuck” among others, is an IU alumnus. During his time as a Hoosier, he worked for the Indiana Daily Student  (hey, that’s us!) and performed with the Singing Hoosiers.