New student groups represented at Involvement Fair

Puppies, performances, playlists and more will be happening today in Dunn Meadow.

The Student Involvement Fair is having its largest event with 350 student groups , said Colleen Rose, senior assistant director for Student Life and Learning.

Last year, the involvement fair had fewer than 300 student organizations represented. The increase this year is a result of the addition of new student groups on campus. IU is now home to approximately 800 student-run organizations, Rose said.

“I’m hoping it’s because more students are learning about the opportunities available through student organization and the student leadership opportunities,” Rose said.

New groups on campus include women empowerment club, Smart Girls Group and political activists ?Students for Hillary.

In addition to student organizations, the fair will include 50 local volunteer agencies, such as Middle Way House and the Bloomington center for domestic violence and sexual assault victims.

The Bloomington Community Orchard, which donates fruit to local organizations, and New Leaf New Life, a program for recently released paroled residents, will also be in attendance, Rose said.

Thirty-two IU departments , such as the IU Cinema , the Asian Cultural Center and IU Outdoor Adventures will also be present at the fair.

“Whenever I’ve worked with student leaders, I’ve heard them say that their journey with involvement really did start at the Student Involvement Fair,” Rose said. “A lot of students find their niche at IU at the Student ?Involvement Fair.”

Not only will there be informational booths set up for the organizations present, but student performances will take place in addition to WIUX DJ-ing.

Other student booths will be handing out more than just pamphlets, as adoptable pets will be present from the Humane Society.

This diverse event is expected to draw in 6,000 to 8,000 students, Rose said.

With such a large group comes a lot of trash. The Student Life and Learning center has joined with the Office of Sustainability and IU Grounds to start an outdoor recycling initiative.

The Office of Sustainability ordered half recycling and half trash stations for Dunn Meadow, said Miriam Zakem, Office of Sustainability summer intern and No Waste Program coordinator.

The Student Involvement Fair has always provided ?recycling bins, but this year SLL hopes to use the fair as a kickstart for having recycling at all outdoor events, Rose said.

Before this pilot program for recycling, student organizations renting space at Dunn Meadow automatically received trash services but would have to plan for recycling separately, Rose said.

This new program will provide trash and recycling together.