Freshman class breaks records

This year’s freshman class breaks records across the board in enrollment, GPA and diversity, according to an IU release.

IU welcomes 7,708 first-year students this week, topping 2012’s record-breaking new student numbers by 95 students.

“We are pleased to have IU-Bloomington’s largest class ever moving onto campus this week,” David Johnson, vice provost for enrollment management, said in the release.

This year’s class has a median high school GPA of 3.73 on a four-point scale, according to the release, up 0.01 points from last year’s class GPA of 3.72.

A total of 1,042 new students identifying themselves as a minority race will become Hoosiers as well, making this the most diverse class yet, according to the release.

This increase reflects the push in the IU-Bloomington Strategic Plan to recruit and retain more underrepresented students as undergraduates.

“The academic quality and the increase in diverse students are improvements directly connected to the IU-Bloomington strategic plan, and it is exciting to see our strategic work taking shape,” Johnson added.

African-American student enrollment is projected to increase by 7 percent, according to the University, with Hispanic enrollment increasing by 10 percent.

IU also boasts 711 new international students from 41 countries.

Most first-year students are Indiana residents, from 89 of Indiana’s 92 counties.