IU baseball hires Chris Lemonis as head coach

spNewCoach

Just eight days after being shocked by former head coach Tracy Smith’s departure for Arizona State, IU has found a replacement.

Chris Lemonis was named the IU baseball head coach Wednesday. Lemonis was an eight-year assistant at Louisville, and helped the Cardinals reach three College World Series in 2008, 2013 and 2014 during his tenure.

IU Athletic Director Fred Glass said several coaches reached out to IU after Smith left. With the building of the new, state-of-the-art Bart Kaufman Field in 2013, IU has become one of the most attractive jobs in the Midwest.

“We are extremely pleased with the extensive interest in this position, from head coaches to assistant coaches and others associated with collegiate and professional baseball,” Glass said in a release. “From those outstanding candidates, we are confident we have selected the right one to lead Indiana Baseball.”

Lemonis was also the Cardinals’ recruiting coordinator, and helped transform Louisville into one of the best college baseball programs in the north.

“I am really excited for the opportunity to join one of college baseball’s hottest programs at Indiana,” Lemonis said in a release. “I am thankful Fred Glass and the administration have faith in me to keep the momentum rolling and keep the Hoosiers at the top of the Big Ten.”

Smith’s departure to Arizona State was a blow to the program. Smith has said he wasn’t actively seeking another job, but when the Sun Devils and their prestige as one of the best college baseball programs in the country called, it was a no-brainer, Smith said.

Smith also brought with him assistant coaches Brandon Higelin, who worked with pitchers, and Ben Greenspan to Arizona State, meaning Lemonis will have to hire a coaching staff to surround him.

“Our staff will do everything we can to recruit the state of Indiana and the entire Midwest to bring the best baseball players to Bloomington,” Lemonis said. “We will play an exciting brand of baseball and are confident we can continue the championship tradition that has been established at IU.”

The former Cardinals’ hitting coach was also an assistant coach at his alma mater, The Citadel, for 12 years.

Former MLB All-Star Scott Rolen was involved in the hiring process. The clubhouse at IU is named after Rolen because he gave a contribution to the new stadium.

Rolen said he was happy with the hire.

“In talking with respected major league scouts, high school and travel ball coaches in our region, Chris Lemonis comes to Indiana with a great reputation as a coach, recruiter, leader of young men,” Rolen said.