arts iu auditorium

IU Auditorium reveals eerie collaboration

When it comes to horror, Bloomington is King.

"Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," a southern gothic supernatural musical written by Stephen King, will take the IU Auditorium stage October 10, the IU Auditorium announced Friday afternoon.

"Darkland County" also features music by Bloomington music legend John Mellencamp and touring icon T-Bone Burnett. The IU Auditorium will show the first runs of "Darkland County" before the production leaves for a 20-city nationwide tour.

"It is an amazing opportunity to host the cast and creative staff of 'Ghost Brothers' as they rehearse and debut this new musical," IU Auditorium director Doug Booher said in a press release. "This is a rare chance for our audiences to witness a premiere of this scope, and it coming from such a locally (and globally) beloved artist like John Mellencamp makes the experience even more special for Bloomington and IU."

The musical combines eerie, suspenseful plot with blues and folk music styles, as the storyline centers around a dysfunctional family living in 1967 Mississippi, according to the press release.

Where artists in their golden years often settle for contentment, Stephen King said this musical keeps him and Mellencamp working hard.

"John can make rock & roll records and I can write books for the rest of our lives," King said. "But that's the safe way to do it, and that's no way to live if you want to stay creative. We were willing to be educated, and at our age, that's an accomplishment."

Director Susan Booth said in a press release the musical is "a kind of new age traveling medicine show."

“This is a gothic story-driven rock concert,” Booth said. “I want the emphasis to be on this fantastic score and our great singers and how the story advances us from song to song. In most musicals, the songs advance the narrative. With 'Ghost Brothers,' the story will advance the songs.”

For more information, visit iuauditorium.com.