crime & courts

Record 285 citations issued this weekend

Students and out-of-town visitors shuffled into the Monroe County Courthouse just before 8:30 a.m. Sunday to process minor drinking- and drug-related offenses they received while celebrating Little 500 weekend.

Indiana State Excise Police reported 235 people were cited with a total 285 charges this year. That’s 29 more than last year’s 256 tickets.

“We’ve looked at it and we can’t determine any reason,” Monroe County Prosecutor Chris Gaal said of the differences in number of citations from year to year. “It just fluctuates. It can have to do with the weather.”

The temperature hovered below 40 degrees Sunday morning, and frost on the ground was just beginning to thaw when court opened. Most who showed up were bundled in warm clothing and had red faces from waiting in line to enter the court building.

Despite the weather and some audible complaints from those waiting about the early morning time and one offender swearing he’d “rather go to church early” than be there, the court appointments were processed without a hitch.

“This year’s group has been well-mannered,” said Tom Rhodes, the Director of Community Corrections and the Assistant Chief Probation Officer. “I’ve been watching, and they seem very respectful and cooperative.”

In years past, some have been obnoxious to the judge and court officials because of throbbing hangovers or being “still under the effects” of whatever substance they were cited for, Rhodes said.

Although more citations were issued this year, excise reported a “notable reduction” in the number of people with dangerously high blood alcohol concentrations. Only one person was taken to Bloomington Hospital during the weekend, according to the
report.

Gaal and most of his employees pulled an all-nighter to process every arrest and citation in time. Those eligible for pretrial diversion, meaning the citation would not appear on their record and they wouldn’t have to go before a judge, paid $425, spent threehours picking up trash left over from Little 500 shenanigans and attended a four-hour alcohol and drug education class.

Those eligible were mostly first-time offenders but included a small amount of repeat offenders with a very minor previous charge. Those who had more serious charges, more prior convictions, a separate case pending or questions about the circumstances in which they were charged faced Judge Mary Ellen Diekhoff to schedule appointments.

Most received a standard $167 fine and were ordered to perform community service.

Colleen Sikorski