Root Cellar provides V-Day atmosphere

entRoot Carousel

For Valentine’s Day, there’s always dinner and drinks. Or you could enjoy some subterranean rock ‘n’ roll.

At 10 p.m., local bands Jerome and the Psychics and Triptides will be sharing a bill with Austin, Texas, native Tiger Waves for an evening of rock at the Root Cellar.

“We got the show because we were interested in playing with Triptides again,” Psychics frontman Jerome Assad said. “Usually we like to book our shows with a touring band.”

When the Psychics found out it was playing the gig, Assad said the group spoke at practice about which, if any, Valentine’s Day-themed songs to play.

“I like girl-group covers, like the Ronettes,” Assad said. “We usually stick to covering classics, stuff that is dance-y, soulful and sexy.”

Josh Morrow, the Triptides drummer, is approaching a year’s tenure with the local surf-rock band and said he hasn’t shared a show with the Psychics yet.

He said he is unsure whether his band will commit to any Valentine’s serenades.

“We haven’t really talked about it, but since it’s a special occasion we may play new songs that we’ve been working on,” Morrow said.

Triptides released its new record, “Sun Pavilion,” last November and is heading back into the studio next weekend to begin recording another.

Assad said the Psychics’ first LP, “The Nova Guarda,” was released last October and the band is also working on demo tracks for a second album, priming the evening for the possibility of new music.

“I’ve been excited for these Thursday night Root Cellar events,” Morrow said. “There are always cheap drinks and a good turnout, and the basement-like feeling makes people more apt to cut a rug.”

For those considering attending the themed performance, Assad said to keep love on the mind.

“It’s going to be a romantic affair, but in a sleazy way,” he said. “Come get drunk with that special lady. Or maybe you’ll meet her.”

There is no cover for the show, but patrons must be ages 18 and older. The Root Cellar can be found behind FARMbloomington at 108 E. Kirkwood Ave.