Hoosiers sweeps Louisville in dual meets

The IU men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams defeated Lousiville at Ralph R. Wright Natatorium on Friday in Louisville, Ky.

On the men’s side, the No. 8 Hoosiers defeated the No. 14 Cardinals 193-107, and the No. 13 IU women’s team earned a victory against the No. 15 Louisville ladies, posting a score of 160-140.

In the 200-yard medley relay, the men’s team, comprising junior James Wells, junior Cody Miller, junior Eric Ress and senior Daniel Kanorr, raced to a first-place finish with a record time of 1:28.53.

The IU women’s 200-yard medley relay team of freshman Brooklyn Snodgrass, senior Ashley Specht, sophomore Justine Ress and sophomore Sara Delay won their event with 1:41.96.

Both the Hoosier men and women went 1-2 in the 1,000-yard freestyle event. Senior Ryan Hinshaw finished first with a time of 9:18.51 and senior Ryan Downey followed at 9:20.34. On the women’s side, freshman Taylor O’Brien took first in 9:56.54 while junior Lindsay Vrooman finished second in 9:59.69.

In the 200-yard freestyle, Vrooman added another second-place finish at 1:48.46. They won every backstroke and breaststroke event.

Specht won the 100-yard breaststroke with a 1:01.69 time and junior Brownyn Pasloski earned second place with 1:01.76. Both girls made the NCAA ‘B’ Cut.

Snodgrass continued her sweep of the backstroke events as she placed first in the 100 with a time of54.32.

In the men’s 100-yard backstroke, Ress placed first for the Hoosiers, posting a time of 48.23, and Wells came in second, clocking in at 48.85.

Miller was first in the 100-yard breaststroke, touching the wall at 55.11.

In the men’s three-meter springboard diving competition, the Hoosiers had the top seven finishers. Junior Darian Schmidt took first with a score of 430.94, while senior Mick Dell’Orco was second (370.05), junior Emad Abdelatif third (354.07), junior Conor Murphy fourth (340.13), freshman Andrew Hull fifth (339.67), junior Bryce Ogden sixth (339.08) and sophomore Danton Rogers seventh (335.47).

“Our team has the ability to throw big dives and do them well,” Dell’Orco said. “Louisville is a much more swimming-oriented team and lack strength on the diving side.”

In the women’s one-meter springboard competition, senior Amy Cozad earned an IU victory with a score of 310.87.

The Hoosier men will compete next week in a home meet against Evansville on Friday, Feb. 8 at 4 p.m.

The Hoosier women move on to the Big Ten Championships in Minneapolis, Minn. on Feb. 20-23.