sports softball

Junior transfer’s defensive ability propelling Hoosiers

IU softball

This past season, 10 freshman softball players were added to the IU roster. But another newcomer to the Hoosiers, Cassie Gogreve, has also made a major impact on the field.

The junior catcher transferred to IU last year and has played an important role on the defensive side. She has also helped on the recruiting end for the Hoosiers.

The older Gogreve helped her sister Shelby Gogreve commit to IU as she looks to compete in the infield next year. Shelby is a four-year letterwinner that hit .398 as a junior last year and had a .443 on-base percentage.

IU coach Michelle Gardner played a big role in the recruitment of both sisters. Cassie also switched schools when a campus visit made the choice easier.

She explained that she heard good things about Gardner from friends who played under her at Nevada.

“I transferred because IU is a wonderful place, coach Gardner was great and it’s a beautiful campus,” Cassie said.

Cassie went from starting 12 games at South Carolina in her freshman year to only starting two games the next year.

The South Pasadena, Calif., native has had different results in Bloomington.
So far, she has started all 25 games this season.

Cassie has a .264 batting average and is tied for second on the team with 12 RBI on the season.

On defense, Cassie leads the Big Ten in throwing out 14 runners attempting to steal a base. She also has picked off two runners this season, which makes her tied for second in the conference.

She has not allowed a passed ball this season, and her teammates have seen her as a vocal leader on the field.

“She is a key player in calming me and the rest of the infield down when we get in a difficult situation,” freshman pitcher Jessica Dobson said.

As a defensive specialist and a promoter of the Hoosiers back home, Cassie has made a positive difference on and off the field for IU.

Dobson said Cassie is someone who most of the players look up to.   

“She is a very good hitter,” Dobson said. “While catching for me, she is very encouraging and helps me stay focused.”