sports women's basketball

Hoosiers hit road for Illini rematch

IU-OSU wbball

Last Sunday’s stunning victory over then-No. 4 Ohio State has the IU women’s basketball team believing in itself.

“It makes a statement that we can do all things if we just come together and become a team,” IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said.

The Hoosiers (12-10, 5-6) hope to continue the wave of momentum from their monumental upset to Champaign, Ill., for a rematch with Illinois at 2 p.m. Sunday.
IU won 50-48 in its Jan. 7 match with the Fighting Illini (12-9, 4-7) in Bloomington, thanks to a furious late five-point surge and winning layup by senior guard Jamie Braun.

Illinois has since won just two games and is currently tied with Northwestern at the bottom of the Big Ten standings, but the Hoosiers figure Sunday will still be a challenge.

“They’re so good, they’re so athletic, and they’re really good at home,” Legette-Jack said.

Braun expects a grudge from the Fighting Illini.

“They’re going to be mad,” she said. “We beat them here, and I’m pretty sure we beat them kind of on a last-second shot, too. It’s going to be tough. We’re just going to have to stay together as a team.”

The Hoosiers hope to slow Illinois center Jenna Smith, who ranks third in the conference in scoring with 18.7 points per game and was the Fighting Illini’s leading scorer in their previous contest with IU.

Sophomore forward Danilsa Andujar knows she must be instrumental in accomplishing that goal.

“I think I’ll attack her more and make her play defense on me, so hopefully I get her into some foul trouble,”  Andujar said.

While the team had just seven players available against Ohio State, Legette-Jack said matching the intensity from that game would not be a problem.

After one of the biggest victories in IU women’s basketball history, the Hoosiers have reason to be confident.

Andujar was one of the biggest reasons IU upended the Buckeyes, pulling down 12 rebounds and helping limit Ohio State center Jantel Lavender to just three second-half points.

“When you take a cap off somebody’s ability, and you allow them to become as much as they can become, they can grow,” Legette-Jack said of Andujar. “This is certainly her time now.”

Andujar said she was just concerned with helping the team win.

“Whatever I can do to help us win, that’s what ... I’m really focused on,” she said. “I’m just really focused on rebounding and defense to help us win as a team.”