Middleton hopes to rebound from slow 2008 season

Greg Middleton

IU senior defensive end Greg Middleton has heard enough.

Enough of the talk about his drop in statistics and rankings. Enough of the talk of his team being at the bottom of the Big Ten in almost every defensive category.

And he’s ready to do something about it.

“I definitely have something to prove,” Middleton said. “Pride is a big thing, and I just want to come out and play better than I did last year. I want to be a dominant player on the defensive side and create plays for my teammates.”

Two seasons ago, Middleton was arguably the most dominant defensive player in the conference. He led the nation in total sacks with 16 and finished fifth in the Big Ten with 17 tackles for loss.

But 2008 was a different story.

Facing constant double teams, Middleton struggled to get to the quarterback last season. He finished the year with only four sacks and 18 tackles on a team that finished last in total defense in the conference.

IU defensive ends coach George Ricumstrict said Middleton’s statistics were down partially because of how much the opposition focused on him.

“When you lead the nation in sacks and put up the numbers he did, people are going to notice you,” Ricumstrict said. “They are going to design their blocking schemes to account for you. That might have frustrated him a little bit.”

But with Middleton as the main attraction for opposing offenses, senior defensive tackle Jammie Kirlew emerged as a star last year. He earned second-team All-Big Ten and was a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award after recording 10.5 sacks and 74 tackles.   

Ricumstrict said Kirlew’s breakthrough season will force other teams to alter their strategies and prepare for the pass-rushing duo.

“Now when teams start to game-plan for us, they will have to account for both of those guys,” Ricumstrict said. “They both can help each other out by having great years.”

And for the Hoosiers to contend this fall, an improved defense is a necessity.

Last year IU ranked last in the Big Ten in rushing defense, passing defense and scoring defense.   

Middleton worked each day this offseason on cardio, gaining strength in the weight room and becoming a leader off of the field. His lifting partner, Kirlew, said he does not expect a repeat story of 2008.

“I don’t think he was himself during that time,” Kirlew said. “But this year it was real obvious because he was here all summer busting his butt and working hard. You can see the difference in his game, the difference in his focus and can tell he is ready to play and do big things this year.”

On the other side of the ball, IU junior quarterback Ben Chappell said the change in Middleton from last season to now is clear.

“I think Greg is a lot more focused,” Chappell said. “He knows that this is his time. He is going to come out here, work hard on every down and be the force that we know he can be.”