Former QB Lewis to join D-II Valdosta St.

IU quarterback Kellen Lewis gets away from Western Kentucky defenders to score his first touchdown on a 75-yard run in the first half during a game on Aug. 30, 2008 at Memorial Stadium. IU won 31-13.

Kellen Lewis has found a new home.

The former IU quarterback and wide receiver announced Saturday he will play his final year of college football at Valdosta State University in Valdosta, Ga.

“One of my old teammates told me about it first,” Lewis told ESPN. “It’s a great town with great crowds and an opportunity to play at a school with a history of championships.”

Lewis was dismissed from the IU football team April 29 after violating team rules. Lewis missed all of spring football in 2008 for another undisclosed violation of team rules. He was reinstated Aug. 4, 2008, when fall practice began, according to a July 9, 2008, Indiana Daily Student article.

“(IU coach Bill Lynch) told me, ‘I just can’t give you another chance,’” Lewis told ESPN. “And I understand, because I violated our contract. It was a bad day then, but I will stay in touch with those coaches.”

Valdosta State ranked 12th nationally in the final Division II football poll of 2008. The team went 9-3 on the year, scoring 28.3 points per game last season, and averaged 380.8 yards per game during their campaign.

Lewis will come into the program hoping to play quarterback as he did in his previous season at IU. Lewis switched from quarterback to wide receiver in spring practice after then-IU junior Ben Chappell took the reins for the Hoosiers late in the 2008 season.

As quarterback in 2008, Lewis completed 110 passes in 193 attempts with eight interceptions. He threw for six touchdowns during the 2008 season and averaged 131.8 passing yards per game while also averaging 50 rushing yards per game. He ranked fourth on the team in scoring with 18 points to his credit and led the IU offense with 1,631 total yards during the 10 games he played.

Lewis will look to contribute to the already strong offense at Valdosta State. Prior to his dismissal, Lewis had thrown more touchdown passes than anyone in school history with 48. He was third in the IU record books in passing yards as well as second in total yards. He also set 13 other school records.