sports softball

Olson throws no-hitter in two losses

Junior outfielder Kelli Ritchison watches the game from third base Wednesday afternoon during the first game of a double header against Ohio State at the IU Softball Field. Indiana lost the first game 14-4, and the second 1-0.

Sophomore pitcher Sara Olson put her name in the IU record books Wednesday afternoon, recording the first no-hitter in almost three years. However, the Hoosiers (5-28, 1-7) still lost to the No. 16 Ohio State Buckeyes (30-6, 7-1) 1-0.

“You can throw the best game of your career and still lose,” Olson said.

The sophomore set a season-high of nine strikeouts and stifled the Buckeyes the entire game. Perhaps a more remarkable aspect about the no-hitter was that it came after Olson let up seven earned runs in two-thirds of an inning in the first game of the double header.

After failing to get out of the first inning, Olson was determined to turn it around for the rest of the day. In the Hoosiers 14-4 loss to the Buckeyes, Olson went 2-for-3 with a home run and 3 RBI.

But Olson’s offensive performance could not match the Buckeyes, who put up runs in a hurry.

Buckeye freshman Alicia Herron hit 3-for-4 with two home runs and seven RBI.

After the Buckeyes’ offensive explosion in the first game, their offensive production cooled off for the entire second game.  Olson tuned out her performance from the first game and shifted her focus.

“I think I was more prepared in the second game not just physically, but mentally, too,” Olson said.

The lone Buckeye run came off a couple of walks from Olson and an illegal pitch, where the umpire ruled that she did not keep her foot on the mound when she released the ball.

Despite the defeat, Olson said she is still honored to be in elite company for her no-hitter.
“It was just exhilarating,” Olson said. “I don’t think it’s really set in yet.”