sports baseball

IU smashed in 11-2 loss

The Hoosiers (3-3) suffered their second-worst loss of the season as Indiana State defeated them, 11-2.

IU had one opportunity to close in on the Sycamores when freshman third baseman Cody Webber and junior shortstop Jake Dunning both stepped into the batter’s box with the bases loaded in the second inning. Their teammates lingered on the bases, waiting for a hit to shrink Indiana State’s 8-2 lead – but it never came.

Webber went down swinging first, and Dunning followed suit to end the inning. The Hoosiers never recovered from the missed opportunity and failed to post another point in their 2-11 loss in Terre Haute.

IU coach Tracy Smith said the contest was tough to describe.

“It’s a hard game to even evaluate because we made so many mistakes,” he said. “We made mistakes in the infield, we made mistakes on the mound and we made mistakes on the bases.”

The Sycamores jumped to a 6-0 lead in the first two innings, as freshman pitcher Drew Leininger gave up seven hits and five earned runs, which totaled eight in his first start. Smith said he pitched like a freshman, adding: “We’re too good, we’ve got too many arms to be pitching what I call mid-week performances.”

Junior Chris Squires pitched two scoreless innings before freshman pitcher Matt Igel came in to give up the last three runs of the game.

The IU offense was relatively quiet, producing only nine hits in comparison to ISU’s 15.

The three errors committed in the game also did nothing to help the Hoosier cause.

A quick turnaround awaits IU when it hits the field today to face Eastern Michigan 3p.m. at Sembower Field. Since a previously scheduled bout in Bloomington was canceled due to the weather, it will be the first official home game of the season.