Dumes emerges as legitimate scoring threat for Hoosiers

IU guard Devan Dumes navigates the lane during IU's 60-57 win over IU-Purdue University Indianapolis Nov.19, 2008 at Assembly Hall. Dumes had 10 points.

A 20-point lead turned into three in the waning moments against Iowa, and the Hoosiers faced the prospect of blowing the lead for their 12th straight loss. IU needed someone to take a shot.

Junior guard Devan Dumes came off a screen and did just that.    

Dumes’ 3-point bucket gave the Hoosiers a two-possession lead, one they wouldn’t relinquish.

“Coach, he’s been preaching to us, ‘Keep fighting, keep fighting, your hard work is going to pay off,’” Dumes said after Thursday’s game. “And it paid off tonight.”

Whenever a crucial offensive possession presents itself to IU, Dumes seems to be the one looking to shoot.   

“I’ve always been that type of player,” Dumes said. “I’ve never been scared. If I miss it, I miss it. If I make it, I make it.”

Dumes’ play has caught the attention of many Hoosier foes. Ohio State guard Jon Diebler and Minnesota coach Tubby Smith both cited Dumes as a dynamic player.
After torching Iowa for 27 points on 8-of-9 shooting, Hawkeye coach Todd Lickliter called Dumes’ performance “near perfect.”

But Dumes was perhaps most noticeable this season when he wasn’t on the court.    
Last month at Illinois, Dumes came off the bench as penance for missing the team bus.
The Illini blitzed IU early, and just when Dumes got in the game, he left – out with a sprained ankle.

It was the first time in eight games Dumes didn’t score 10 or more points, and the end result was a 76-45 stomping by Illinois.

Just three days later in Columbus, Ohio, a still-hobbling Dumes came back to play 32 minutes, but not at full strength. He only scored eight points in another blowout loss.

“I really just wanted to be out here to show leadership,” Dumes said after the game against the Buckeyes, “and get out there and show my teammates I was there for them.”   

Since then, Dumes has appeared to have gotten his stroke back. He’s scored in the double digits the past five games, including scoring a then-career-high 26 points at Northwestern.

If the Hoosiers hope to notch another conference win, Dumes will need to keep it up. IU travels to East Lansing, Mich., this weekend to take on the Spartans, whom IU coach Tom Crean said he believes are the top team in the conference. The road trip will start a string of games in which the Hoosiers will take on four ranked teams in five games.

Placing more pressure on Dumes has been freshman Tom Pritchard’s recent struggles. Opposing teams have switched to more zone defense on IU as of late. That – along with Pritchard’s recent foul trouble – has resulted in the big man not scoring in the double digits the past three games.

But as long as Dumes can shoot the ball the way he did against Iowa, IU will have a go-to scorer. After hitting that clutch 3, Dumes iced the game by hitting two free throws with 15 seconds left to put IU up three possessions.

Freshman Nick Williams wasn’t surprised.    

“I knew the night Devan was having,” he said, “he wasn’t going to miss those free throws.”