Early voting sites to be held at HPER in October

Times, location set with students’ schedules in mind

Students wishing to vote early won’t have to travel far to cast their ballots.

Machines will be set up in the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation building’s racquetball court 12 from Oct. 14 through Oct. 16, said Jim Fielder, county election board secretary.

The site will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

BLOG: The Politiker

After disagreements, the county election board came to a decision at the Sept. 18 meeting that the on-campus site would have three days of early voting.

The on-campus voting site for May’s primary election was in the Indiana Memorial Union, but since no available rooms in the Union met the voting-site regulations, the HPER building was the next best space, said Anna Strand, president of the IU College Democrats.

“The Union was our first choice, but I believe just as many students probably use the HPER as the Union,” Strand said.

The location, days and times for early voting were set with students’ schedules in mind.

“We really worked to make this convenient for students,” Strand said. “We’re hoping students can easily get there during the day and get in and out quickly.”

But both student political groups are excited about the three days on campus and the new location.

Justin Hill, chairman of Students for McCain and political director of the IU College Republicans, said they will take what they can get as far as early voting sites on campus go. He said he does not think the HPER will draw fewer students than the Union did in May.

“I think there will be more questions of ‘Where do I go?’ ‘What do I do?’ in the HPER as opposed to the Union, but I don’t think it should deter anyone from voting,” Hill said.

Sophomore Tonya Maschino said she’s happy early voting sites will be on campus during times that are convenient for her.

“I plan on voting at them, and I’m really glad I can go in between a class and vote,” she said. 

As for first-time voter Drew Beskin, the senior said he’d rather wait until Election Day.
“But,” he said, “it’s nice that it’s available on campus.”

While students seem to appreciate the availability and convenience of on-campus early voting, Fielder is also pleased with the county election board’s decision.

“It looks like a large part of the student population comes out of class right in that area, so I think it’s going to be an excellent location,” Fielder said.