Greg Middleton named to 5th preseason watch list

Brandon Foltz

Despite not stepping onto the field, Greg Middleton has already had quite a summer.
The junior defensive end was nominated as one of 36 pass rushers named to the preseason Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award. Middleton earned honors by being named one of eight finalists for the Hendricks award in 2007.
“It feels real good to be named to the lists,” Middleton said. “It puts added pressure on me to perform at a high level next fall.”
This most recent accolade brings Middleton’s preseason watch list total to five. The six-feet-three-inch, 275-pound end has also been named to two watch lists for the nation’s best defensive player – the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy. Middleton has also been named to watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award (down linemen and those defensive players who line up within five yards of the football) and the Lott Trophy (Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year).
In 2007, the Indianapolis native earned All-American honors from The Associated Press, The Sporting News, CBSSports.com, SI.com, Rivals.com and CollegeFootballNews.com.
Middleton led the nation and set a school record with 16 sacks all while becoming IU’s first defensive lineman since Adewale Ogunleye to earn first team All-Big Ten honors since 1997.
With all the preseason hype surrounding him, the Pike High School grad stressed the importance of putting the Hoosier’s success in front of his own.
“I’m going to do whatever I can do to help my team play 13,” Middleton said. “Whether it is getting to the quarterback or drawing double teams. Whatever it takes to help out my teammates.”
Middleton’s summer has been filled with classes and workouts. He is trying to improve his game in order to
get faster.
“I’ve done a lot more speed training than I did last year to help out on my pass rush off the edge,” Middleton said. “My training will help me out a lot.”
Middleton has also found time to squeeze in a couple games of EA Sports NCAA ‘09, where he is ranked as the ninth best defensive end in the annual college football video game. His first game was with the Hoosiers, and he recorded two sacks as himself.
“The game is pretty good,” Middleton said. “(Running back Marcus) Thigpen and (Wide receiver) Ray Fisher are really good in it.”
Middleton and the Hoosiers kick off play against Western Kentucky on Aug. 30.