On Saturday night at the Bluebird, the crowd members were swaying their bodies to the irresistible trance of the Twin Cats. This Indianapolis native jam-funk fusion band brought innovative tunes to Bloomington and left only those without ears sitting in their booths. Although the crowd was a bit small for such a prestigous nearly-local group, those who made it out were certainly rewarded.

Switching between a saxophone and an electronic clarinet, the lead band mate kept the group paced at a constant rate of grooviness. Now, I've never actually seen an electronic clarinet being played, so the fact that he was up there making these synthesized sounds with such an alien instrument left me amazed in the first place. However, then I realized that most of the other listeners were feeling the same astonishment, due to the fact that at least four other people walked up to me and asked what on Earth the lead player was using. Aside from this glorious electronic clarinet, the rest of the band put on a spectacular performance as well. Transitioning from funky bass lines to ripping guitar solos, the whole group gave this show their all.

For such a reasonably priced show at the Bluebird at $5, it would be unfortunate for anyone who adores live (and local!) music to miss out on such a superior act. Whether in Bloomington or elsewhere in the Midwest, I highly recommend seeing Twin Cats whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Post by Rachel Hanley