MADISON, Wisc.--Before the Hoosiers traveled to Madison, Wisc. to face the No. 22 Badgers, IU Defensive Coordinator Doug Mallory said IU's defense needed to know where Wisconsin senior wide receiver Jared Abbrederis was on every play.

His responses at the team's weekly press conference indicated that he was worried about IU's ability to both stop Wisconsin's rushing attack and defend Abbrederis in one-on-one matchups on the perimeter.

Abbrederis entered the matchup with 54 receptions for 849 yards and six touchdowns this season, putting him among the best wide receivers in the Big Ten.

Abbrederis, the wide receiver, was the least of IU's defensive worries at Camp Randall Stadium.

Wisconsin sophomore quarterback Joel Stave only attempted 15 passes in the game and Abbrederis was held without a reception.

Instead, Abbrederis, the ball carrier, torched IU's defense. He ran three times for 86 yards and the first two rushing touchdowns of his career.

"That's something that we've practiced a lot," Stave said. "It's well-rehearsed and to get an opportunity to actually use it in a game is pretty exciting. He showed he's pretty good at that jet sweep."

IU redshirt senior safety Greg Heban said the Hoosiers never saw those plays when studying film of Wisconsin's offense.

"It was definitely new to us and it's something that we didn't prepare for," Heban said.

Heban said the defense was trying not to make the same mistake twice. He said the Badgers modified the motions on each of Abbrederis' touchdown runs.

"It kind of messed with where our fits where and where the corner and safety needed to be," Heban said. "It was just a good job on their part, (a) good play call."

Sophomore defensive end Nick Mangieri said the lack of film on Abbrederis' reverses is not an excuse.

"We still gotta stop it," he said. "It's just a generic reverse, we gotta be ready for it."

On each of the Abbrederis' trips to the end zone, he benefited from his teammates blocking downfield.

Wisconsin redshirt sophomore running back Melvin Gordon said it was phenomenal to see the Badger wide receivers blocking downfield.

"We get the ball a lot, we are a running team, and those guys try to make the best of what they got," he said. "They aren't selfish and that's the best part about it"