When IU extended an offer to defensive end Malik Smith in early May, it wasn't as much of a celebration as it was a relief.

"It was special, and it was more of a sigh of relief," Smith said. "You're never sure that it's going to come, you're never 100 percent sure that you're going to get an offer, but if you work hard enough, somebody's going to recognize it."

IU recognized it, and so far, it is the only team to have offered the 6-foot-1-inch, 228-pound end thus far. Smith said Cincinnati, Temple, UMass and a few others have been talking with him quite a bit and might soon give him an offer.

Smith, who goes to Cypress Creek High School in Orlando, Fla., has been talking primarily with IU Co-Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers Coach Mike Ekeler, who he said is very excited about Smith.

Just recently, he spoke with Ekeler about what his role in the defense might be, and due to his athleticism and ability to come off the ball quickly, Smith said he could play in a number of situations.

"He told me I'd be playing anywhere," Smith said. "I would be all over the field."

In the near future, however, Smith is hoping to take a visit to IU in the next couple of weeks and will take visits soon to Cincinnati, Florida Atlantic and Florida International. He is also focusing on his goals for the next football season.

"I'm looking to double my sack count," Smith said. "Last year, it wasn't where I wanted it to be. I had seven and I look to double that and get 14. I like to lead by example, but this season, I'd like to be more vocal"