What's this - a basketball post?
Today marked the first day of the late signing period for college basketball. It will run through May 19. With at least one scholarship available for the 2010 class (pending any potential transfers -- Malik Story made his move in late March a year ago, while Nick Williams announced his decision to leave on April 15), expect at least one new face on campus next year.
Certainly, IU is pursuing some big men -- both those still unsigned and those recently decommitted from schools with recent coaching changes. Here are some of the names out there:
- Will Yeguete, PF, 6-7, 210 lbs, Florida Air Academy - Originally from France; known as a strong rebounder; once thought to be very high on IU but all has been quiet recently; visited campus several weeks ago during the Hoosiers' home finale versus Northwestern
- Dwight McCombs, PF, 6-8, 210 lbs., Morraine Valley Community College - Chicago native; began his career at Miami (OH); averaged more than 22 points, 13 rebounds and 5 blocks per game for his Juco division two school; in the process of taking visits, but has yet to make it to Bloomington
- Cody Larson, PF, 6-9, 225 lbs., Roosevelt High School (S.D.) - Hails from South Dakota; was previously signed by and set to play for Todd Lickliter at Iowa; IU coaching staff rumored to have been scouting him this past weekend
- John Wilkins, PF, 6-9, 215 lbs., Southeastern C.C. (Iowa) - Has not played this year due to an eligibility issue with the NJCAA and would likely have three years of eligibility; was orginally signed with Bradley in 2008; was thought to have committed to Iowa State a few weeks ago; his father, Jeff Wilkins, played in the NBA after a successful career at Illinois State; Wilkins visited IU a couple weeks ago and followed up the Bloomington visit with a trip to Bloomington-Normal (Illinois State).
Scholarship situation for 2010-2011 as of today:
Senior: Jeremiah Rivers
Juniors: Verdell Jones, Tom Pritchard, Matt Roth (pending a medical redshirt)
Sophomores: Maurice Creek, Christian Watford, Derek Elston, Bobby Capobianco, Jordan Hulls, Bawa Muniru
Freshmen: Will Sheehey, Victor Oladipo
Scholarships filled: 12 / 13
- Transfers: Chris Babb (Penn State), Paul Carter (Minnesota), Bill Edwards (Penn State - going to Miami, Ohio), Aaron Fuller (Iowa), Ian Markolf (Wisconsin), Kyle Rowley (Northwestern)
- Illinois' Stan Simpson could be next
- IU has not been in touch with former 2010 target Ge-lawn Guyn
- Center Maurice Walker, the No. 118 player according to Rivals.com, is headed to Minnesota
- Brandon Knight, the No. 1 senior in the country, has verbally committed to Kentucky
- Ray McCallum Jr. (#60 senior, per Rivals.com) will play for his father and former IU assistant Ray Sr. at Detroit
- IU did not make Joe Lundardi's 96-team bracket , however the 9-Minnesota and 24-Jackson State matchup is one of many exciting pairings in his way-to-early expanded bracketology
- Second-hand information per Verdell Jones' Facebook (I'm not FB friends with him) - Pritchard not transferring; apparently some confusion with a statment Jones made on his page >>> yea for Facebook stalking by IU fans
- ESPN.com Class of 2012 notables/IU targets: #10 J.P. Tokoto, #14 A.J. Hammons, #16 Peter Jurkin, #24 D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, #25 Hanner Perea
- Oladipo has hops
Comments powered by Disqus