UPDATE (1:30 p.m.)

From Bob Baptist of The Columbus Dispatch:

Coach Thad Matta did not rule out Evan Turner playing against Indiana during a pregame interview session with the media this morning. But he said he won't make that decision until Wednesday. The Buckeyes play the Hoosiers at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Value City Arena.

Asked directly today whether Turner could be available if he practices tonight and has no complications from the activity -- which The Dispatch reported earlier today -- Matta replied, "I hope so, but I wouldn't count on that."

See original Hoosier Hype post about Turner's potential availability after the jump:

A little more than two weeks ago, I posted information that a source told the Ohio State student newspaper, The Lantern, that injured star Buckeye guard Evan Turner planned to be back for the IU game on Jan. 6.

While that seemed to be a bit in limbo as the date drew closer, a source has now told The Columbus Dispatch that he will be available for Wednesday's game against IU if practice goes well today.

Last night, OSU coach Thad Matta said he didn't believe Turner would be able to play, but the former Butler and Xavier coach might provide a different message when he meets with the media today.

Turner was an early favorite for the Naismith College Player of the Year award before the back injury on Dec. 5.

Though OSU climbed a bit in the polls without him, it became clear that the team was not a top flight team without "ET" - losing at Michigan on Sunday, just days after a blowout loss at Wisconsin.

Watching OSU-Michigan, the Buckeyes looked beatable without Turner, and even if he returns on Wednesday, it is uncertain how much of a factor he will play. Remember Pitt's Jermaine Dixon made his return from an injury versus IU and recorded no points in 12 minutes.