In an effort to add even more variety to our coverage we are going to attempt to have some guests posts by people offering insight into the Hoosiers/ women's basketball. Our first guest post is from Vera Jones. Vera currently works as an analyst for the Big Ten Network and called the game between IU and Iowa last Sunday. Vera was also a Hoosier assistant coach during the 2006-2007 season. To read more about Vera click here

I asked Vera what her thoughts were about the game against Iowa and the Hoosier team. This is what she had to say:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the IU Women's Basketball Team in their defeat of returning Big Ten Co-Champions Iowa. Before the game, on the Big Ten Network, I gave a brief scout of Iowa as a very solid team with great senior leadership, size in the post as well as on the perimeter and with the ability to score in various ways. I spent most of the evening wondering if I was delusional as the Hoosiers' smothering defense and down-your-throat offensive attack left the Hawkeyes looking like a team I didn't recognize. I believe Iowa struggled to even recognize themselves.

Whitney Thomas, who joined the 1,000-point club in last night's win proved why she is by far the most underrated player in the league. Amber Jackson is capable of dominating the paint but didn't, likely because she didn't have to. Kim Roberson demonstrated her usual pure energy and drive capable of changing the complexion of an entire game in the blink of an eye. Jori Davis added her suave athleticism to a backcourt already too hot to handle with Jamie Braun putting on an entire highlight show to lead the Hoosiers to victory. (I'm a huge fan of the switch-hand floaters in the key by the way.)

Another asset the Hoosiers have going for them this season, however, is depth with confidence and composure. I had not seen freshman Ashlee Mells prior to this game, but I now will never forget her! Wow! The high-arcing shooter and free wheeling slasher certainly raised a few eyebrows last night. She was fun to watch. Andrea Mcguirt, Lindsay Enterline and Whitney Lindsay all added quality minutes and proved they can be counted on to hold onto a lead and not drop the intensity. The Hoosiers had been beating teams by a margin of 16+ points prior to the Iowa victory, which is likely to be great for team morale as every player on the IU bench gets to see some minutes and feel like a contributor.

While it is true that the entire Big Ten Conference screams of parity, the Indiana team I saw last night screamed a bit louder, "With all due respect, we are the team to beat!" As long as that smothering defense and multi-dimensional, multi talented offense, laces up the Adidas and takes the court every game, I'd say that scream might be one the entire conference is listening to.

Best "Swishes"

-Vera Jones