This morning the local media got it's first chance to talk to two of IU's newest players, Devan Dumes and Jeremiah Rivers. The team had it's first official practice under Tom Crean yesterday and the two players were excited to talk some hoops. We'll have stories in tomorrow's paper, but here are some quotes that won't make tomorrow's paper from today's meet-and-greet.

Jeremiah Rivers on sitting out this season: "I got to approach it as positively as I can, that's the only way you can approach it. For me, it's just working on my game. Knowing that everyday I get better. For me there are no setbacks. Nothing. It's all moving forward and being mentally prepared for next year and be able to lead a team to more wins next year."

Rivers on whether Tom Crean's changed since he first met him eight years ago: "He isn't too much different. Always been an intense guy, guy who wants to win and improve his players. Even when I was little, he's always been like that. When I was little, he'd let me go out and play with the guys or throw me a few camps and drills, but it was always about basketball, doing basketball right and pretty much living life right."

Rivers on why he choose IU (and why Hoosier fans won't like Sam Cassell): "Man, funny thing about that is, Sam Cassell was just begging me to go to Memphis. I don't know why, I guess him and (John) Calipari are cool. He was like, 'you gotta go to Memphis, gotta go to Memphis.' I was like 'I don't know, I just don't know much about Memphis.' Part of me wanted to stay in the south, I've been raised their my whole life. Ultimately I just said, I think I have a better relationship with Crean and I knew the winning tradition Indiana had and the passion for basketball, I thought it'd be something I'd want to be a part of."

Dumes on the first practice of the year: "We kind of went through the basics, passing, moving without the ball. Lay-ups. It was still intense, but it was a pretty fulfilling day."

Dumes on whether the Hoosiers can win this year: "Were taught to let people think what they think, but I wouldn't be a basketball player if I didn't think we could win now."

Dumes on his teammate, Rivers: "He's going to be a leader, this year but not this year, since he doesn't get to play. I think his experience will help us a lot on the sideline... When the box outs come, I thought I was in real practice the other day, we had a box out (drill), someone missed it and (Rivers) was screaming from way down there. I didn't even know he was in (Assembly Hall), it feels like your always on the clock with him, that's a good thing"