Indiana 27, Purdue 24 --- [FINAL]

The students are storming the field...

The clock has expired and the game is over. I think this might be the loudest I've ever heard Memorial Stadium.

The student section is going wild. It looks like a crimson sea of students celebrating. The Hoosiers have reclaimed the Old Oaken Bucket for the first time in five years and are most likely going bowling for the first time in 14.

This is one of the most beautifully poetic sights I've ever seen. Thanks to Austin Starr's field goal, the Hoosiers have realized Coach Hep's dream and will most likely "play 13." To see the students embrace the players on the field like this is something I thought I would never see on a football field in Bloomington.

I'm rushing down to the press conferences, but we will be back with more later.

In case you missed it the first time, the final score: Indiana 27, Purdue 24.

What a Bucket game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 27, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 0:23]

Purdue returned the kick to the 30, but thanks to a poorly timed personal foul they are pushed back to the 15. With 23 seconds left, Purdue has to go the length of the field.

Indiana 27, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 0:30]

THE KICK IS UP - AND ITS GOOD!!

Austin Starr from 48 yards puts the Hoosiers ahead by three with 30 seconds left. Purdue has no time outs. Starr just made his 19th field goal of the season and by far the most important of his career. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 24, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 0:35]

A friendly spot makes Lewis's pass to James Bailey a four-yard gain.

On third-and-seven from the 30, Lewis runs to his right and is taken down. A flag was thrown, possibly a late hit, but was taken back seconds later.

Purdue takes their last time out. The Hoosiers have the ball on the 31, Austin Starr is on the field to attempt about a 48-yard field goal....for the season. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 24, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 1:25]

A huge third down pass to James Hardy picks up the first down and moves the pigskin to the 33. I don't know if the Hoosiers want to end this game with a Starr field goal, but they need about another five yards to put them in his range.

The next play, Lewis hands it to Thigpen for a loss of one.

Purdue takes another timeout. Ball on the 34.

Indiana 24, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 1:53]

A seven-yard pass to Hardy gave the Hoosiers second-and-three. From there, Thigpen looked to be brought down behind the line of scrimmage, but broke a tackle and ran to the 50.

Another nine-yard gain to Thigpen followed. On second-and-one, Lewis hands the ball to Thigpen, who gets tackled well behind the line of scrimmage for a loss of four.

Purdue takes a timeout. The Hoosiers are facing third-and-five from Purdue's 45.

Indiana 24, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 2:53]

A nine-yard pass to Ray Fischer on first down and a three-yard scramble on third down gives the Hoosiers a first down.

Ball on IU's 36.

Indiana 24, Purdue 24 --- [Fourth quarter --- 3:39]

A pass interference call on first down moves the ball to IU's 21. From there, Jaycen Taylor rushes 16 yards up the middle to move it to the 5.

On first-and-goal, the Boilermakers tie it up with a to Jake Standeford. We have a tie ball game with 3:39 left. IU_Fan, you might be the only one reading right now. I apologize for any dismay I may have brought on you.

Side note, how big was Kellen Lewis's sack on third down now? If Austin Starr makes that field goal the Hoosiers still have the lead. Ouch.

Indiana 24, Purdue 17 --- [Fourth quarter --- 4:18]

It happened.

Marcus Thigpen fumbled the ball on IU's 37, turning the ball over to the Boilermakers. Down seven with just over four minutes left, Purdue is in great position for a comeback.

This is the biggest defensive series of the year for the Hoosiers.

Indiana 24, Purdue 17 --- [Fourth quarter --- 5:25]

Eeeeeek....On first down Kellen Lewis fumbled the handoff. But as soon as the ball hit the field Lewis was on top of it, securing it for no loss.

Timeout Hoosiers. Think Bill Lynch is a bit nervous? I can honestly say that the silence is deafening. All of Memorial Stadium is holding their breath, waiting to see if the Hoosiers can hold on to this game.

Indiana 24, Purdue 17 --- [Fourth quarter --- 6:15]

Don't stop watching just yet.

Purdue just drove the length of the field and scored a touchdown. They went 75 yards in nine players.

The Hoosiers will now have the daunting task of working the clock. The Hoosiers have struggled to manage the clock well all season. But with Thigpen running the way he is, will the Hoosiers be able to sit on the ball?

IU_fan: Don't do me like that! I've been keeping the press box hushed for that exact reason. I just got a little distracted. Can you blame me?

Indiana 24, Purdue 10 --- [Fourth quarter --- 9:48]

You could point to Kellen Lewis for Austin Starr's missed field goal.

Lewis took a sack on third down for a loss of 12 yards, pushing Starr's field goal attempt to 42 yards instead of a chip-shot. Starr's field goal missed just to the left, leaving the Boilermakers with the ball on the 25.

Memorial Stadium just announced the attendance: 50, 721.

Indiana 24, Purdue 10 --- [Fourth quarter --- 11:20]

Marcus Thigpen.

Marcus Thigpen.

Marcus Thigpen.

He just broke another 25-yard run, moving the Hoosiers to Purdue's 15. He has 140 yards on 14 carries today. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 24, Purdue 10 --- [Fourth quarter --- 12:03]

Greg Middleton just registered his third sack of the day - forcing the Boilermakers to punt and putting an end to any offensive drive.

Porter took the punt off the bounce and returned it into Purdue territory. IU takes over on the 40. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 24, Purdue 10 --- [End of Third quarter]

Michael Hines is having a hell of a game.

For what seems like the 22nd time this game, Hines pins the Boilermakers inside their own 10. He just booted a 60-yard punt that puts the Boilermakers at their own 7.

Indiana 24, Purdue 10 --- [Third quarter - 1:47]

I'm not going to lie, I've been spending the last five minutes researching bowl games. All of a sudden I'm all about the big picture.

But while I was looking ahead, the Boilermakers were putting a dent into IU's lead. Purdue's Kory Sheets ran it in from the 1 to make it a two-touchdown game.

Indiana 24, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 7:26]

Thigpen just broke another run for 23 yards. He is running like a man who is possessed. He's been bothered by injuries all season and hasn't been able to get going, but tonight he is looking like an All-American.

Midway through the third quarter, he has a career-high 117 rushing yards.

Indiana 24, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 8:43]

Things couldn't be going better for the Hoosiers right now. Nothing would surprise me right now. I'm awaiting Antwaan Randle El to realize he has another year of eligibility and play the rest of the third quarter.

On third-and-19, Curtis Painter forced the ball into triple coverage, only to have it intercepted by Chris Phillips. The play was reviewed, but stood.

Indiana 24, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 10:20]

If the play on the field wasn't encouraging enough, the Hoosiers are getting plenty of help from their fellow conference teams.

Several other six-win teams in the Big Ten are losing as we speak: - Penn State is killing Michigan State, 24-7. - Western Michigan is beating Iowa, 19-13. - And Illinois beat Northwestern earlier today, 41-22.

What that means is a seven-win team is almost guaranteed a bowl spot now. With Michigan State possibly out of the equation, that opens the door for the Hoosiers in the Motor City Bowl. Us folks who hate cold weather, are begging the bowl committees from the Las Vegas Bowl and the Insight.com (Tempe, Ariz) Bowl are watching right now.

Indiana 24, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 11:29]

A double-reverse to Ray Fischer goes for a gain of 19. Fischer capped off the play by lowering his shoulder and driving into the Purdue defender, rather than running out of bounds.

And on the next play Marcus Thigpen broke another run, this time for 45 yards. When Thigpen gets free, he has the open-field capability to go the distance. His combination of acceleration and lateral movement is almost unstoppable.

And when it rains, it pours. The next play, Lewis ran the ball in from the 8 for a Hoosier touchdown.

Indiana 17, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 12:16]

IU_Fan: Its great football weather. I'd estimate around 45 degrees with almost no wind. The lights are on at Memorial Stadium now that the sun has set. As for the stands, they really are full. One of the top corners has a few visible empty seats, but that could be people who didn't come back from halftime or are sitting somewhere else.

If its not a sellout, then they fell short by only 300, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've seen a ton of Boilermaker fans the past two days, but not that many in stands. Maybe they just came down to Bloomington for the "IU football experience" - i.e., tailgating and listening to the game on the radio.

Bizprof: Thompson walked right behind me on his way into the radio interview. It's good to hear IU alumni supporting the coach. What the Hoosiers really need is something, or someone, they can rally around.

As for the game, Purdue just punted and the Hoosiers will take over on their own 28. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 17, Purdue 3 --- [Third quarter - 13:59]

Not the start the Hoosiers were looking for in a second half. Three-and-out results in an early second half punt for IU.

The punt is almost blocked but takes a great Hoosier bounce, leaving Purdue with the ball around their own 15. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 17, Purdue 3 --- [Halftime]

Like I said, an almost flawless half for the Hoosiers. Outside of Lewis's pick and the Purdue field goal, the Hoosiers have controlled the first half.

The Marching Hundred is now on the field along with the '67 "Cardiac Kids." More to come.

Indiana 17, Purdue 3 --- [Second quarter - 0:34]

With the Boilermaker defense back on their heels, Lewis found Hardy on a slant route in the end zone for a touchdown.

Starr splits the post with the extra point attempt, putting the Hoosiers up by 10.

Barring a last second score, this was a great half for the Hoosiers. They are controlling the clock and the scoreboard. Despite a careless interception by Lewis early in the game the Hoosiers have played "bowl football."

Indiana 10, Purdue 3 --- [Second quarter - 0:38]

Facing fourth-and-one, the Hoosiers turned to an old familiar face.

Blake Powers - on his first play of the season - ran over the center, picking up the first down. Powers was immediately pulled, but you can't help but feel good for the guy who has kind of been the odd man out this season. It shows a lot of class and respect on Bill Lynch's part to put Powers in and give him a chance to contribute.

Two players later, Lewis threw an end zone bomb to Andrew Means, which fell incomplete but did draw a pass interference call. The ball is now on the 8.

Indiana 10, Purdue 3 --- [Second quarter - 2:43]

The Hoosiers matched Purdue's field goal with one of their own, putting them up by a touchdown once again.

Starr's field goal gives him the school record for most field goals in a season, with 18.

Indiana 7, Purdue 3 --- [Second quarter - 3:40]

I just saw something I'd never see: Marcus Thigpen break a long run without having it called back. Thigpen's run up the middle picked up 17.

On the next play, I saw something I also thought I'd never see: back-to-back successful runs by Thigpen. The second one went for 16.

Now with the ball on Purdue's 38, Lewis hit Payton in the flat for a pick up of 13.

Indiana 7, Purdue 3 --- [Second quarter - 4:49]

For the second time today Purdue moved the ball into IU's red zone, only to be sacked out of it. Painter stood in the pocket too long and Greg Middleton notched his 14.5 sack, pushing Purdue back to the 30.

On second down, Dorien Bryant picked up an impressive 11 yards to leave Purdie with third-and-10. On third down, Christopher Phillips tipped the ball in end zone, breaking up the pass.

Facing a slightly shorter field goal than his earlier attempt, Purdue's Chris Summer hit the 37-yard field goal to put the Boilermakers on the board.

Indiana 7, Purdue 0 --- [Second quarter - 9:19]

A three-and-out by the Hoosiers set up an exciting fourth down.

Michael Hines had his punt easily blocked by a Purdue special teamer, but IU safety Mitchell Evans was there to pick up the loose ball and run for a first down. Bizarre.

But it wouldn't amount to anything. Hines punted again, this time unblocked, and kicked it out of bounds at Purdue's 30.

Indiana 7, Purdue 0 --- [Second quarter - 10:46]

Purdue had its best offensive possession of the day, driving almost the length of the field into IU's red zone. But Joe Kremer sacked Painter on second down to push Purdue back to the 23.

Failing to convert on third down, Purdue would settle for a field goal attempt.

The kick was long enough, but missed wide right - giving the Hoosiers the ball on their own 23.

Indiana 7, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 0:37]

After two unsuccessful players, Kellen Lewis faked a handoff, faked a pass, then took off to his right picking up the first down.

Following his run, Lewis hit Hardy with a pass on the next play for 13 yards moving the ball to the 8.

Two players later Lewis accelerated up the middle for a nine-yard gain and a touchdown, putting the Hoosiers on top.

As the players filed out of the end zone, the first person to greet them on the sideline was Rick Greenspan, who enthusiastically gave the players high fives. I thought about mentioning that four or five players ignored him, but as you can tell I couldn't resist.

Note:Hardy's latest reception gives him 67 catches for the season - a new school record.

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 2:59]

Mr. Excitement (Sears) busts up the middle on first down for a gain of 18.

Two players later Lewis found Andrew Means deep for a 40-yard gain down the sideline. Means has made impressive catches all season, but this one would contend for one of his best all year.

Let's see if the Hoosiers can make anything of this drive.

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 4:57]

Outside of some exceptional punting, the Bucket game hasn't had a lot of excitement so far.

Purdue's offense continues to play like A-Rod in the playoffs and just punted to the Hoosiers after going three-and-out once again.

IU takes over from their 5.

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 5:40]

Kellen Lewis continues to struggle with turnovers. On second down trying to hit Hardy downfield, Lewis overthrew his receiver and had the ball intercepted by Purdue's Justin Scott.

To add injury to insult, Hardy got lit up on the return. With the tables turned, Hardy tried to make a tackle on Scott. But instead a Boilermaker blocked him from his blindside and the 6-foot-7 wide receiver went flailing out of bounds.

Purdue takes over from IU's 39. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 6:35]

Purdue picked up its first first down of the afternoon, but was unable to move the ball any further than that. On third down, Nick Polk made a WWF-style tackle to keep the Boilermakers from converting.

Polk has really improved this season. At the beginning of the year, he really looked like a wide receiver playing safety (which is what he essentially was). Now he is a much more polished defensive player.

I think the next couple of months will benefit Polk immensely. He hasn't spent an off-season before as a safety. Next year, with Porter and several other defensive players graduating, I see Polk being one of IU's best players on the defensive side of the ball.

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 8:44]

On third-and-eight Lewis finds Andrew Means over the middle for a pickup of 17 yards and a first down.

On the ensuing play, Lewis handed the ball to Ray Fischer in the backfield on a reverse attempt. But the Boilermakers sniffed it out and the play resulted in a loss of 10.

After a delay of game penalty, the Hoosiers faced third-and-25 from Purdue's 43. Bill Lynch called for Josiah Sears to run up the middle - the play resulted in a gain of four.

Michael Hines' line drive punt was rescued by Tracy Porter, who made an incredible save to pin Purdue on their 3.

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 11:58]

Two short runs to Marcus Thigpen followed by a pass to Bryan Payton in the flat results in a first down for the Hoosiers.

With the ball on the 31, Kellen Lewis James Hardy for a nine-yard gain and then Marcus Thigpen for a four yards to pick up another first down.

The Hoosiers are driving...

Indiana 0, Purdue 0 --- [First quarter - 14:37]

A quick three-and-out for the Boilermakers - not the start they were looking for.

Purdue's quarterback Curtis Painter threw three consecutive passes that sailed out of bounds. The receivers never really had a chance.

Tracy Porter fields Purdue's punt on the 15 and is immediately tackled.

The Hoosiers are taking the field and are about to kick...Kevin Trulock is kicking in place of Austin Starr.

A couple of quick notes before the game starts...

This is the first Bucket game to sell out since 1989. It's IU's first home sellout since the Hoosiers hosted Ohio State in 2005 (think any Buckeye fans made the drive from Columbus?).

Despite a leg injury, Ben Wyss will be starting at center today. John Sandberg, the man who was filling in for Wyss, will move over to right guard.

Each one of the 16 Hoosier seniors and their families were just introduced onto the field. I was wondering if they would honor James Hardy and his family (assuming he is bolting for the NFL), but apparently they decided not to.

At halftime the Hoosiers will be honoring the 1967 Rose Bowl team - the only IU team ever to play in the bowl. The team is nicknamed the "Cardiac Kids" - which would be a fairly appropriate name for this year's team as well.

Fans continue to pour into the stadium. I haven't seen the student section so packed all season, and we still have 15 minutes until kick-off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all comes down to the Bucket game.

We are less than an hour away from witnessing the biggest college rivalry game in the state. Both the Hoosiers and the Boilermakers are on the field warming up for the biggest game of the season.

Bloomington is packed with football fans. I live three blocks away from the stadium and it took me an hour to drive here. The tailgating fields resemble a crimson, cream, black and gold Woodstock. Even the IU student section is filling up.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it: the Hoosiers need to win today. Lose, and they go home (well, stay home). Win, and today will mark the biggest day in IU football in 14 years.

I don't really feel like I need to sell today's game: you're most likely sufficiently amped. Throw out comments, questions and predictions...

It's Bucket time, baby.

My Prediction: Indiana 40, Purdue 37