POSTGAME: After one overtime period, the Hoosiers lost to Illinois 58-54 tonight. With the Illini's win, they took the season series 2-1 and ended IU's Big Ten Tournament run.

As the result suggests, Illinois was incredibly tough on the defensive end the entire night. They limited clean attempts from the field from IU, trapped the ball in tight spaces, doubled D.J. well and protected the offensive glass. They might be foul-prone and brutal on offense, but those Illini can sure defend.

Even so, the Hoosiers had a chance to win the game in regulation. Freshman Armon Bassett had the ball at the top of the key with about 20 seconds left, waited until he had about five, made a quick move toward the basket and launched a 17-footer that hit back iron. Illini fans wanted a foul on D.J. White on the rebound attempt, but the refs weren't having any of it.

Missed shots sunk the Hoosiers in overtime. IU clanged a series of threes and scored only two points - courtesy of an A.J. Ratliff tip-in - until Earl Calloway made a running layup with 3.2 seconds left. That brought the score to 54-52, but the clock ran out on the Hoosiers and their chances of claiming any share of a Big Ten Championship in Kelvin Sampson's first year as head coach.

The loss isn't likely to jeopardize IU's NCAA Tournament status but could potentially lower their seed. Still, it's likely the Hoosiers will be a seven or and eight seed, according to ESPN's Joe Lunardi, who knows quite a bit about these things, I've heard.

Tough loss, but hey: there's still the NCAA's. We'll be back tomorrow and Sunday to talk NCAA Tourney and more. See you then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- After surviving an arduous journey and treacherous parking situation, we've made it the United Center in Chicago for IU's Big Ten conference tournament match up with Illinois.

There's certainly a lot of pro-Illini orange in the stands tonight, but it's not as overwhelming as you might think. Sometimes it's easy to forget IU has such a high percentage of graduates in the Chi. After all, this is the same fanbase that outnumbered Northwestern fans at their own arena two weeks ago. Still, the Illini fans hold a large majority here tonight.

Besides the quasi-road atmosphere, the Hoosiers will have to overcome an Illinois team that is a really tough play for them. The Illini are long and athletic and the best team in the Big Ten on the defensive end, a combination of attributes that usually gives IU problems. The Hoosiers are no slouches either, especially on offense; tonight's game will a battle of strengths every time the Hoosiers have the ball.

Projected starters:

IU: F D.J. White F Mike White G Rod Wilmont G Armon Bassett G Earl Calloway

ILL: F Brian Randle F Warren Carter C Shaun Pruitt G Rich McBride G Chester Frazier

We have a great seat right behind IU's bench, so I'll see if I can intercept any interesting stuff from Sampson and the players and relay it along to you where applicable. Barring anything Earth-shattering, I'll see you after the game.