arts community events

Lilly’s Local Tunes: A guide to live music events April 18-20

entlillylocaltunes-illo

Welcome back to the weekend show guide. As the semester ends, there are many exciting annual spring events and the return of monthly performances. There are also plenty of hard rock and heavy metal shows to mosh out any finals season frustration. Here’s what’s happening: 

Thursday 

Cover band Rod Tuffcurls will bring the party at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird Nightclub. Tickets are $15 for this 21+ event. 

Bloomington folk artist Big Kitty will headline at 8 p.m. at The Blockhouse featuring acoustic and singer-songwriter artists The Monvales, Kay Krull, Al Scorch, and The JW Baker Trio. Admission is $10 for this 21+ show. 

Local hard rock and metal bands Dose Rose, Fox Body, and Man of the Flood will take the stage at 9:30 p.m. at The Bishop Bar. Admission is $10 at the door for this 21+ show. 

Monthly Music Night returns at 6 p.m. to Juniper Art Gallery. The night will feature national award-winning guitarist Kade Puckett who has over 30 years of experience, specializing in jazz to rockabilly. There will also be free snacks and refreshments. 

Friday 

Rod Tuffcurls will perform a second night at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird.  

Gallow Dance, a monthly goth, industrial, and darkwave night, will return at 8 p.m. to The Blockhouse. Admission is $10 for this 21+ event. 

Matixando will perform “World Forest Music” led by Costa-Rican singer-songwriter David Davila Gonzalez at 7 p.m. at The Orbit Room. Tickets are $10. 

Lafayette-based punk band The Enstrangers are joined by local metal bands Foxbody and Rearview Rhonda to take the stage at 10:30 p.m. at The Bishop. Admission is $10 for anyone 21 and up.

Saturday 

Cover band Jukebox Luke will take the stage at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird. Tickets are $10 for this 21+ show. 

The Dynamics, the iconic eight-piece R&B group that has been a fixture of Bloomington’s music scene for over 30 years, will perform at 8 p.m. at The Blockhouse. Admission is $8 at the door for those who are 21 and up. 

Local rock bands Owen Killer, Wind, and Thorr Axe will take over at 10:30 p.m. at The Bishop. Admission is $10 for this 21+ event. 

Dead Country is celebrating their band’s anniversary at 6 p.m. at The Orbit Room with honky tonk groups Leroy McQueen & The Vatos Supreme and Lexi Len. 

IU Soul Revue presents “A Taste of Soul” at 7:30 p.m. at The Monroe Country Convention Center. The annual Soul Revue concert showcases classic and contemporary R&B and soul music from America’s first and finest collegiate Black popular music ensemble. 

Jacobs School of Music presents their annual spring Jazz Celebration featuring the very best Jazz Studies students and faculty have to offer as well as renowned guests. The performance takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the MAC.