sports tennis

Indiana women’s tennis ends season with loss to Nebraska in Big Ten Tournament

spiuwtrecap042524.jpeg

When the season began in January, Indiana women’s tennis showed promise, earning back-to-back sweeps in doubleheaders. The 4-0 record was the team’s best start to a season since 2017-18 when it began 8-0. 

Then, following its 6-1 victory over Chicago State on Jan. 21, the Hoosiers’ fortunes flipped. They finished the regular season 2-19, highlighted by a 12-game losing streak and an 0-11 record in the Big Ten. 

Entering the Big Ten Tournament, Indiana was granted a blank slate. For both the Hoosiers and the opposition, Nebraska, the match was win-or-go-home. Ultimately, Indiana once again fell to a Big Ten opponent, ending its season winless against conference foes. 

The match began with domination on the doubles courts for Nebraska. Indiana’s No. 1 doubles pairing of graduate student Saby Nihalani and freshman Li Hsin Lin surrendered a 6-0 beating at the hands of Nebraska senior Raphaelle Lacasse and graduate student Maja Pietrowicz. 

Soon after, Indiana freshman Elisabeth Dunac and sophomore Nicole Teodosescu were vanquished 6-3 on the No. 3 singles court, propelling Nebraska to a 1-0 advantage. 

Continuing with the trend throughout recent weeks, straight set singles losses led to defeat for Indiana, this time ending its season at the Big Ten Tournament. 

Magdalena Swierczynska suffered the Hoosiers’ first loss in a 6-2, 6-1 flattening. A 6-3, 6-3 loss for Dunac on the No. 2 court followed by a tight 7-5, 6-4 defeat for Teodosescu on the No. 1 court cemented the 4-1 victory to Nebraska. 

After its whirlwind victory over Cornell University on Feb. 25, Indiana lost 13 consecutive matches. The Hoosiers finish the season with a 6-20 record overall and 0-12 in conference play, including the Big Ten Tournament.

Follow reporter Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates through the Indiana women’s tennis season.