Indiana track and field depth propels team through dual-meet weekend

spiutrackrecap042124.jpg

Indiana track and field split up for the last time this weekend, with some distance runners heading to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for the Wake Forest Invitational and the rest of the team visiting Lexington, Kentucky, for the Jim Green Invitational. 

On Friday, the Hoosiers opened competition at the one-day Wake Forest Invitational. Junior Camden Marshall placed third in the men’s 800-meter run, earning a new personal best of 1:46.23 and catapulting him to third place in program history. 

Graduate student Skylar Stidam also earned a personal best of 13:50.65 in the men’s 5,000-meter run to finish 15th. 

Indiana had 19 top-10 finishes to kick off the Jim Green Invitational on Friday.  

Junior Sean Mockler won the men’s hammer throw with a fling of 67.27 meters, a season best. 

In the women’s javelin, senior Shanna Esters’ season-best toss of 37.57 meters earned her fifth place. 

In the men’s 400-meter hurdles, sophomore John Colquitt finished fourth in 52.38 seconds and graduate student Micah Camble sixth in 52.47 seconds. In the women’s 400-meter hurdles, sophomore Ryann Parrish placed fifth in 1:02.90. 

Graduate student Antonio Laidler won the men’s 200-meter dash in 20.61 seconds. 

In the women’s 3,000-meter run, sophomore Katelyn Winton claimed the title and a personal best with a time of 10:59.77. In the men’s race, sophomore Cole Raymond finished third in 9:21.38, also earning a personal best. 

Junior Martin Segurola earned third in the men’s 1,500-meter run in a personal-best time of 3:45.68. 

On Saturday, the Hoosiers added 22 additional top-10 finishes to close out the weekend. 

In the men’s pole vault, sophomore Riley Johnston placed second, clearing 5.12 meters. Senior Tyler Sierks finished sixth with a vault of 4.82 meters.  

Senior Mahogany Jenkins earned third in the women’s triple jump with a distance of 12.43 meters. 

In the women’s 400-meter dash, graduate student Kenisha Phillips finished second in 53.45 seconds. 

Laidler finished second in the men’s 100-meter dash in 10.31 seconds. 

He teamed up with sophomore Novo Onovwerosuoke and juniors Otto De St Jeor and Trelee Banks for the men’s 4x100-meter relay, which placed third in 40.45 seconds. The women’s 4x100 team of Phillips, senior Morgan Snow and freshmen Kristina Vincic and Symone Adams finished fifth in 46.29 seconds. 

The distance group had another strong showing, with sophomore Claire Overfelt winning the women’s 5,000-meter run in 17:12.98 and graduate student Emma Everhart-Deckard placing third in 17:14.22. Junior Travis Hickner earned third for the men in 14:56.28. 

Segurola won the men’s 800-meter run in 1:52.34, with sophomore Andrew Mangum finishing close behind in 1:52.46 to earn second.  

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team of freshman Garrett Messer, graduate student Christopher Grant and sophomores Nico Colchico and Keefer Soehngen placed third in 3:18.07. 

Next weekend, the Hoosiers travel for the last time in the regular season, heading to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Invitational on April 26-27.