campus student life

Alpha Phi Omega to host Rubber Duck Race fundraiser April 13

caduckrace041124.JPEG

Feathers will be ruffled when the national co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega hosts its annual Rubber Duck Race fundraiser from 12-3 p.m. Saturday, April 13 at the IMU by the campus river.  

Participants can donate money to claim a rubber duck. Each duck costs $1 — A duck for a buck, race coordinator Gie Wilson said — for the first five ducks. For donations over $5, each $5 increment buys an additional duck and a raffle ticket for a gift basket supporting local businesses.  

Ducks will be numbered from 1-100, then sorted into heats of around 40. For an additional $2, racers can name their duck or family of ducks. The winners of each heat will then face off in a final race, with a grand prize Wilson is keeping a surprise.   

All funds raised by the Duck Race will go to local Bloomington organizations Teacher’s Warehouse, the Monroe County Community School Foundation, and the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington.

Related20th annual celebration of Jewish heritage takes place at IU Hillel on April 10 Israelpalooza offered free food and music in a yearly celebration of Jewish heritage.

It’s hard to say when or why the tradition of rubber duck racing began, but it has become emblematic of the Mu chapter.  

“Whenever Mu chapter shows up to Alpha Phi Omega events, everyone always says, ‘Oh, you’re the duck people,’” Wilson said.  

Wilson and a board of four chairs began planning the duck race back in January, just after they were elected to their positions.  

Donors from all over the Midwest have participated in the duck race, with nearly $800 of their $1,500 goal raised and over 200 ducks purchased so far. Most of the fundraising happens on the day of the event, Wilson said.  

There will be free food from Pizza X, lawn games and a henna artist. Speakers from each of the associated local organizations will also set up informational booths and make speeches during the event.  

Alpha Phi Omega is one of the nation’s largest service fraternities, according to its website. Chapters are dedicated to raising funds and awareness for local and national causes through events like the duck race.  

“Since I rushed APO two years ago, I really wanted to make a difference at IU and in Bloomington,” Wilson said.  

More information about the Rubber Duck Race is available on its donation site.