city bloomington

IU campuses to participate in state-wide tornado drill Tuesday

news filler.jpg

A state-wide tornado drill will take place at 10:15 a.m. Tuesday as part of Indiana’s Severe Weather Preparedness Week.  

Outdoor warning sirens will sound in Monroe County, and the Emergency Management Agency encourages residents to take this time to practice what they would do in the event of a severe weather event. Alerts will be broadcast through local media and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration weather radio. In the event of severe weather during that time, the drill would take place at 10:15 a.m. March 13. 

IU students, faculty and staff on all campuses will receive IU Notify alerts at 10:15-10:30 a.m. Eastern Time via text message and email, except at IU Northwest, where the drill will occur at 9:15-9:30 a.m. Central Time, according to an email from Indiana University Alert. Information will also be posted on digital signage, IU web page banners, Alertus Desktop alerts and social media.  

All members of IU community are expected to follow tornado procedures as if it were a real warning by seeking shelter, according to the email. All IU campuses are currently on spring break, but the IU community still on campus must participate in the drill. 

More information about severe weather and emergency contacts can be found on the Protect IU website.