Indiana men’s basketball finds second-half groove, makes 16-point comeback at Maryland

IUvsOhiostate#2-top 40-38.jpg

Fresh off breaking a four-game losing streak, Indiana entered its Sunday matchup at Maryland hoping to continue its momentum in the final stretch of the regular season. Trailing by as many as 16 points in the second half, the Hoosiers conducted a surgical comeback on their way to an 83-78 win. 

Indiana started the game well, opening the frame with a 9-4 lead in the first four minutes. However, the first of two large Hoosier scoring droughts flipped the script and gave the Terrapins control. Indiana went scoreless for four-and-a-half minutes, and Maryland capitalized with an 11-0 run. 

The Hoosiers responded with a quick 9-0 run to regain the lead, but Maryland replicated its earlier success with an even bigger stretch. Indiana endured another drought, this one lasting five minutes, and the Terrapins outscored the Hoosiers 12-0 in the time frame to gain a 9-point advantage with 5:30 remaining in the half. 

Despite its best efforts to go back-and-forth, Indiana was unable to inch closer the rest of the frame due to turnover struggles and Maryland’s control of the paint. The Terrapins outscored the Hoosiers 20-8 in the paint in the first half and committed three turnovers to Indiana’s nine. Maryland led 43-33 at halftime. 

An 8-2 Maryland run to start the second frame gave the Terrapins a 16-point lead — their largest of the game — but the Hoosiers began a furious comeback attempt afterward. After missing its first two field goals of the half, Indiana made 12 straight buckets in the second frame. At the 8:20 mark, a layup from senior guard Trey Galloway gave Indiana its first lead since 8:20 remained in the first half. 

The Hoosiers took the lead and never looked back. Trailing 64-60 with just under 10 minutes left, Indiana ripped off a 15-0 run. Maryland missed seven consecutive shots in the cold spurt. The Terrapins cut the deficit to 5 points twice, but the Hoosiers were able to hang on for the 83-78 win. 

It was a balanced effort in Indiana’s comeback performance. Freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako set his career high with 24 points and sophomore forward Malik Reneau added 14 points. Sixth-year senior guard Xavier Johnson scored 13 points and Galloway contributed 12. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.