BREAKING: Indiana men’s basketball head coach Mike Woodson to return next season

IUvsWis-final-8.jpg

Indiana’s men’s basketball program is retaining head coach Mike Woodson for the 2024-25 season, an IU Athletics spokesperson confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student on Wednesday. The Indianapolis Star first broke the news.

Woodson led the Hoosiers to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first two seasons, snapping Indiana’s five-year March Madness drought while compiling a record of 44-26.

The Hoosiers have taken a step back in Woodson’s third year as head coach, holding a 16-13 record entering the final week of the regular season, and the team is unlikely to make the postseason barring a deep run in the Big Ten Tournament. 

The 65-year-old Woodson, who played at Indiana from 1976-1980 before going to the NBA, recently quelled any ideas of his retirement. 

“I'm almost 66 but I feel good and still move around, and I think I still think well in terms of the game, and I still think I can teach the game,” Woodson said Feb. 20. “I'll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I'm not going anywhere any time soon, guys, I'm just not.”

Woodson’s contract expires in March 2027. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.