AJ Barner wanted a national championship, so he left Indiana football for Michigan

spiufbbarnercombine022924.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — For three years, tight end AJ Barner was an Indiana football staple, missing only two games. 

In July 2022, Barner was one of three players — the lone on offense — to represent the Hoosiers at Big Ten Media Days. He was voted a team captain several weeks later, cementing his place as a leader. 

Then, suddenly, he was gone. 

Barner transferred from Indiana to Michigan in December 2022, less than a month after the Hoosiers concluded a disappointing 4-8 campaign. The Wolverines were two weeks removed from winning the Big Ten Championship and securing their second consecutive trip to the College Football Playoffs. 

But it was never the plan Barner initially formulated. 

“You think you're going to go to Indiana for your whole career and have a great career and be the best tight end to ever play there,” Barner said Feb. 29 at the NFL Combine. “I could have never imagined that I would end up like this. Just super fortunate for everything I’ve gone through on my journey.” 

While Barner’s path to Ann Arbor, Michigan, wasn’t straightforward, his motives were — and had nothing to do with NIL money. 

“I wanted to go somewhere to compete for a national championship, to win and to be challenged every single day,” Barner said. “Michigan checked all the boxes. From my personality, I’m a blue-collar, disciplined kid and I fit right in.” 

Barner began his career in Bloomington as a special teams ace, playing in all eight games as a freshman while making four tackles. He grew into a larger offensive role the year after, catching 14 passes for 162 yards and a touchdown. 

During his final act with the Hoosiers, the 6-foot-6, 251-pound Barner enjoyed his most productive individual campaign in Bloomington, hauling in 28 receptions for 199 yards and three scores. He started eight of the 10 games in which he played, missing two others due to a foot injury. 

But as his numbers improved, Indiana’s on-field performance did the opposite. 

The Hoosiers went 6-2 in Barner’s debut season, posting their highest winning percentage — 75% — since 1967. It was tied for the fifth-best mark in program history. Over Barner’s final two years, Indiana went a combined 6-18, including a dreadful 2-16 in Big Ten play. 

Despite the program returning to the basement of the Big Ten, Barner looks back on his time at IU with positive memories — but wishes it could’ve ended better on the field. 

“It was just a lot of fun,” Barner said. “A lot of good teammates, some ups and downs. I was a captain there my junior year and cared a lot about it. Just looking back, I gave it everything. Would’ve liked to do some things maybe a little different — win some more games and stuff like that — but I wouldn’t change that experience for the world. I know a lot of people in Bloomington still love me and care about me and my success.” 

On Nov. 26, Indiana fired head coach Tom Allen, who recruited Barner and oversaw his development from the beginning of his time in Bloomington to the end. 

Allen’s tenure started with a pair of 5-7 seasons before a breakthrough 8-5 record in 2019, paving the way for Indiana’s historic 2020 season, which saw it rank as high as No. 7 nationally. 

But it all fell apart thereafter, as the Hoosiers went 9-27 in Allen’s last three years. Barner saw the first two but could only watch from afar as the final nails were put in Allen’s coffin. 

The 21-year-old Barner said he’s still unsure why Indiana spiraled as it did under Allen. 

“Me personally, I gave my best effort every single day,” Barner said. “I think we had a great year in 2020, and then maybe injuries, maybe complacency. Can't really put your finger on it, but I wish it didn't turn out that way.” 

Barner noted the difficulty of Michigan’s practices after just one session, but he saw the hard work pay off, accomplishing exactly what he’d set out to do — win a title. 

The Wolverines went 15-0, capturing both the conference and national championships. Barner won more games in his lone season in Ann Arbor than he did across his entire three-year stint in Bloomington. 

Barner also found more individual success at Michigan, setting career highs with 22 catches for 249 yards across 15 games and nine starts. He also scored a touchdown and was named the Wolverines’ Offensive Player of the Week on four occasions en route to earning honorable mention all-Big Ten honors. 

While far from the biggest game he played, Barner found personal satisfaction on Oct. 14, when Michigan took a 52-7 victory over Indiana in Ann Arbor. Barner caught one pass for 18 yards, helping set up the Wolverines’ go-ahead score in the second quarter. 

Before the game, Barner met up with several former teammates and coaches, capitalizing on the chance for a reunion. In the hours that followed, he watched as his reasons for transferring were validated. 

“It was definitely different,” Barner said. “A game I circled for sure. It was a unique experience just because I knew a lot of the guys; there was a lot of turnover too with different players. But definitely a game that was circled on the calendar and had some heavy emotions going into it. But it was fun.” 

Barner has since moved on — from Indiana, Michigan and college football. 

He’s targeting a professional career, with the NFL Combine affording him an in-person opportunity to showcase his character and talents to decision-makers across the sport’s highest level. 

It’s only fitting he’ll get to do so in Lucas Oil Stadium, the site of the 2022 Big Ten Media Days and where he became a Big Ten Champion. 

But for Barner, the past is what it is — and he’s ready to make more memories in NFL stadiums for years to come. 

“I'm not even reaching my potential yet,” Barner said. “I feel like I have so much room to grow into. I kind of took a road less traveled and I think my best days are ahead of me.” 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.