city politics

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tamie Dixon-Tatum removed from ballot consideration

elections-filler.png

Tamie Dixon-Tatum, a Democratic gubernatorial candidate and the civil and human rights director for the city of Anderson, did not acquire enough signatures to appear on Indiana’s May primary ballot, the Indiana Election Commission ruled in a meeting on Tuesday. She was declared ineligible for ballot consideration after a campaign challenge was filed against her. 

Jennifer McCormick is now expected to be the only candidate on the Democratic side of the gubernatorial primary ballot. Dixon-Tatum had also filed a challenge against McCormick, which was dismissed Tuesday. 

The challenge against Dixon-Tatum was filed by Speedway resident Kelly Whitman, who alleged that Dixon-Tatum had not obtained enough signatures to meet ballot requirements.  

To be eligible, potential candidates need to garner at minimum 4,500 registered voter signatures, 500 from each of Indiana’s nine districts. Challenge documents allege Dixon-Tatum gathered 1,896 certified signatures, according to Fox59. 

In response, Dixon-Tatum said the status of some of her signatures wasn’t communicated clearly and she thought she had more certified signatures, according to Fox59.