arts music

Lilly’s Local Tunes: a guide to live music events Feb. 15-18

entlillylocaltunes-illo

Welcome back to the weekend show guide! Enjoy Valentine’s weekend by taking someone you love to a show. There’s plenty happening at the classic music venues and some special one-time events happening too.  

Here’s what’s happening Feb. 15-18.   

Thursday 

Cole Chaney, a 21-year-old country musician from Kentucky, will take the stage at 8 p.m. at The Bluebird Nightclub. Tickets are $15 for this 21+ event.  

Juniper Art Gallery is hosting its Monthly Music Night at 6 p.m. with Tom Roznowski for an intimate evening of original and Hoagy Carmichael songs. There will also be drinks and treats at this free event. 

Friday 

Local indie band Backyard Function will perform at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird. Tickets are $10 for this 21+ event. 

Student-led rock bands The Matriarch with Syzygy and Worm Database will perform at 10:30 p.m. at The Bishop Bar for a benefit show. Admission is $10 and all proceeds of the show will go towards New Hope and Middle Way House.  

The Blockhouse Bar is putting on its Gallow Dance event at 8 p.m. for a night of goth, alternative and darkwave music. Admission is $10. 

Saturday 

The country folk band The Red Clay Strays will play at 8 p.m. at The Bluebird. The band is in Bloomington for its American tour for its debut album “Moment of Truth.” The show is currently sold out, but information can be found on The Bluebird’s website. 

Jazz band The Splattertones will perform starting 7 p.m. at The Orbit Room. Tickets for this all-ages show are $10.  

The second annual “Buffy Prom: an anti-V Day Cover Show” will return at 7 p.m. to the I Fell Gallery. The night will showcase local musicians covering 90s bands such as Gin Blossoms, the Cranberries, Kittie and Hole. 

The event is inspired by Buffy the Vampire slayer, and prom-goers are encouraged to dress as their favorite character or in their best prom attire.  

Tickets cost between $10-25, and all proceeds will go to the All-Options Pregnancy Resource Center. Online tickets are currently sold out, but there will be plenty available at the door. 

Elizabeth Moen and Peter Oren, both singer-songwriters, will perform at 8 p.m. at The Block House. Admission is $10.