campus student life

The best places to take pictures around campus

opcampusphotos020824.jpg

IU's campus is a beautiful area throughout all four seasons, and there are many spots on campus to take scenic photos.  

One of the most popular spots is the Sample Gates, located right at the end of Kirkwood Avenue. This scenic landmark is hard to miss, not only because it is situated front and center on campus, but because it’s also the same gates featured on almost every postcard sent from IU. The gates, made from limestone, are led up to by cobblestone walkways and surrounded by vibrant flowers all year around. Sample Gates is a great place to photograph and represent Indiana’s campus.  

Another beautiful spot to snap a photo is the Showalter Fountain. Located in the center of the Fine Arts Plaza, this artistic fountain was inspired by the birth of Venus. It features a large statue of Venus draped across a clamshell, encircled by fish which spout water in the warmer months. Around the fountain are benches for enjoying the sights, and flowers planted to accentuate the beauty of the area.  

The Rose Well House is another frequently admired spot, and happens to be one of the oldest structures on campus. Placed near the front of campus, the small house is surrounded by luscious trees and cobblestone walkways. It is a delightful place to observe all throughout the year, with the different seasons emphasizing the allure of the house. Its naturalistic and antiquated charm make for an aesthetic photo and an overall pleasant location to be in. 

Located just outside the Indiana Memorial Union, Dunn Meadow boasts its outdoor scenery, and is a great area for capturing photos. This area is outlined by trees, surrounded by greenery and includes a small stream running through it. It reveals stunning colors in the autumn, and is a scenic yet nearby getaway from the hustle and bustle of college life. In the warmer months, it’s often filled with picnic blankets and mingling students out enjoying nature.  

Lastly, the outdoor wall of the Eskenazi Art Museum of Art is scenic in its simplicity, and makes for an even more dramatic photo when visited at night. Once it’s dark, the outdoor wall is illuminated in multi-coloured lighting that creates a magnificent sight. It’s a great place to strike a pose or even just photograph on its own, and it can be very unique in its colorful nighttime brilliance.  

This article is part of the Source Visitor’s Guide, an IDS special publication