arts iu cinema

Two film adaptations of ‘Little Women’ to be screened at IU Cinema as part of Re:Made series

entlittlewomenscreening022224.jpg

IU Cinema will screen two adaptations of “Little Women” as part of its ‘Re:Made’ series. 

The Re:Made series pairs an original film with its remake and features a conversation with filmmaking professionals, academics and film experts to share how the films have evolved over time. The original films will be screened Friday and their counterparts the following Saturday. 

Before the screening of “Little Women,” the screening begins with the film “Double Indemnity” at 7 p.m, Feb. 23, followed by “Body Heat” at 7 p.m, Feb. 24. 

The main event, Gillian Armstrong's “Little Women (1994)”, will play  7 p.m, Friday, March 1 in IU Cinema.  

Armstrong’s adaptation features a star-studded cast of 90s icons such as Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, Trini Alvarado, Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst and Christian Bale, following Louisa May Alcott’s timeless coming of age story of the March sisters.  

Armstrong's body of work is populated with literary films and period pieces highlighting female experiences, such as “My Brilliant Career.” 

Tickets for this screening are available online for $5. 

Little Women (2019) was written and directed by Greta Gerwig, whose latest film “Barbie” has recently been Oscar-nominated for Best Picture. The film will be screened 7 p.m, March 2.  

Gerwig’s adaptation of the beloved classic was nominated for six Academy Awards, and boasts contemporary acting heavyweights Laura Dern, Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlan, Donald Sutherland, Meryl Streep and Timothée Chalamet.  

Tickets are available online for $5. 

Saturday’s screening will be followed by a conversation with casting director Betsy Fippinger and Media School professor Susan Kelley.  

Fippinger is an award-winning director who has worked in the industry under some of the best casting directors in New York and has been a part of projects directed by Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese.  

Kelly has a Ph.D. and has taught screenwriting and film courses at IU for over 20 years. They will discuss the importance of casting roles for an ensemble, as both films boast remarkably talented ensembles. 

Re:Made is a highlight of IU Cinema’s spring programming with some fan-favorite films to watch every weekend. On Friday nights after the Re:Made program, audiences can also check out campier films in their Q+ series, highlighting “the past, present and future of queer film” at 10 p.m. on Fridays.