sports little 500

Film director Jill Yesko speaks at the women’s Little 500 reception

splittle5021324.jpg

The Indiana University Student Foundation held its annual women’s Little 500 Reception on Feb. 2 in the Indiana University Foundation Showalter House. 

Jill Yesko, a film director, author and 1983 Olympic Trials cyclist, spoke at the event following a screening of her 2023 documentary, “Uphill Climb.” The film showcases the struggles and triumphs of the 1984 Tour de France Féminin – the first official women’s Tour de France. 

“It’s so gratifying to see women who are two generations younger than I am be passionate about cycling and being on a team,” Yesko said about women’s Little 500 riders. 

The film featured interviews with many of the original 36 women who participated in and helped to orchestrate the Tour de France Féminin and highlighted the inequality and lack of support they received in contrast to the men’s Tour de France.  

Makiah Pickett, a founding member of the newly formed Alpha Fasta Bika women’s Little 500 cycling team, spoke about her experience watching the film.  

“Watching ‘Uphill Climb’ was very inspiring because a lot of the challenges the riders faced in the film were the same for us,” Pickett said. “The women in the ‘80s did the Tour de France Féminin with less support than we have as a Women’s Little 500 team, so it was really cool to hear their stories.” 

The women’s reception, an event that was only attended by women in past years, according to Race Director Emily Carrico, welcomed supporters and riders from both the men’s and women’s Little 500 races. 

Jim Kirkham, coach of the CUTTERS men’s Little 500 cycling team, showed up in support of the women’s Little 500 reception along with several Cutters team members and other men's riders.  

“The women’s Little 500 is really exciting, and in many ways, more than the men’s Little 500,” Kirkham said. “There’s never a lull in the race, and it’s action-packed the entire way. It’s exciting to watch the women give it their all.” 

Carrico spoke on the importance of allowing and encouraging men to attend the reception.  

“When I was a student, gentlemen would not have attended the event,” Carrico said. “They’re helping us recognize women in sport and cycling and continuing this journey with us.” 

A speaker panel was arranged at the reception and, composed of Yesko, IU alumna and founding SKI cycling member, Dr. Megan Huibregtse, who holds a doctorate in Neuroscience. and two-time Little 500 champion: Liz Lieberman Shoup. The panel focused on their experiences as female cyclists and women’s Little 500 participants. 

Lieberman Shoup, a Kappa Alpha Theta alumna and now coach, rode on the winning 2014 and 2015 Kappa Alpha Theta cycling teams.  

The Kappa Alpha Theta team was the first women’s team to attempt to qualify for the 1987 Little 500 when it was exclusively a men’s race, missing out on qualification by just one spot, placing 34th. 

The team went on to help organize the first running of the Women’s Little 500 in the 1987-1988 school year, with 30 teams signing up to race. Since then, the women’s race has occurred every year except for 2020, due to COVID-19. However, the race has seen only five full-capacity fields of 33 teams.  

“It’s going to happen one of these years,” Huibregtse, said. 

The 2024 running of the Little 500 will be the second year under Carrico’s race direction. She reflected on her role in directing the races at the reception. 

“It means so much to be part of continuing the legacy,” Carrico said. “The women who were brave enough to try to qualify and start the race laid the groundwork for years to come, but the women today – they’re still paving that road. There’s still more to be done.” 

Little 500 spring events are underway, with many new riders taking to the Bill Armstrong Stadium track for rookie week – a two-week period in which aspiring Little 500 cyclists gain experience riding the track. They eventually qualify to ride and race on the track, adding to the legacy of the race. 

After rookie week, the track will be open for qualified riders Feb. 19 to begin practicing. Spring Series racing events run throughout March and April, while the women’s and men’s Little 500 races are set for April 19 and 20.